Suspension Q

Joined
Oct 28, 1999
Messages
30
Likes
0
#1
I am a average-agressive type rider with a 98 200, all the go-fast mods, but suspension still stock.

I weigh 84 kg (185 lbs). My next upgrade wil be on the suspension. After reading the Project KDX article, I have the following questions

1) What exactly is revalving
2) What does spring rate mean. Is this a indication of the stiffness
3) What would be the best spring selection for my weight be

Thanks
 
Joined
Dec 10, 2000
Messages
1,490
Likes
1
#2
1. Revalving means changing the flexible shims that control the flow of oil through the valve body. This is not an absolutely neccessary mod for a KDX 200.

2. The spring rate is a measure of how much force it takes to compress the spring. The higher the number, the stiffer the spring.

3.The stock spring is a .35 kg/mm. For your weight, I would go with a .41 spring. This is a must-do mod for any KDX rider that weighs over 135-140 pounds, as the stock springs are way too soft, allowing the forks to sit way down in the middle of the stroke, ruining the action and altering the steering geometry. You will be shocked at how much your speed and control improves just from changing the stock fork springs and getting the oil height set correctly to control bottoming.
 

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
Joined
Mar 23, 2001
Messages
5,272
Likes
2
#3
Originally posted by KDXer
I am a average-agressive type rider with a 98 200, all the go-fast mods, but suspension still stock.

I weigh 84 kg (185 lbs). My next upgrade wil be on the suspension. After reading the Project KDX article, I have the following questions

1) What exactly is revalving
2) What does spring rate mean. Is this a indication of the stiffness
3) What would be the best spring selection for my weight be

Thanks
Call MX Tech, you won't be disappointed. Your bike will be faster than all the other stuff you do to it. It was for me! If your bike rips but you can't control it the motor mods are usless.
 

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Joined
Oct 26, 1999
Messages
1,245
Likes
0
#4
Originally posted by spanky250
3.The stock spring is a .35 kg/mm. For your weight, I would go with a .41 spring. This is a must-do mod for any KDX rider that weighs over 135-140 pounds, as the stock springs are way too soft, allowing the forks to sit way down in the middle of the stroke, ruining the action and altering the steering geometry. You will be shocked at how much your speed and control improves just from changing the stock fork springs and getting the oil height set correctly to control bottoming.
This is one thing that bugs me. I weigh less than 135-140 pounds, but one of the first things I did to my bike was get the right springs for me & my lack of ability (okay, so I only had to change the rear).

Spanky, this is not picking on you, it has been bugging me for ages. Everyone should set up the bike for themselves, not just those that weigh more. I'm running GVs, stock fork springs & a 4.4 rear, which works well for me, but is too soft for the guys. After we'd changed the shock spring, myself, my husband and a friend all took the bike for a ride - the conclusion was unanimous - different bike. It was balanced, it handles whoops well (I wouldn't know, I don't handle them well), it handles tree roots etc well too.

My previous bike was set up for a rider the same weight as me (but he had ability) and it was great. Getting on the KDX unbalanced was horrid.

Anyways, the reason for this post is: no matter your ability or weight, sort the suspension out, you will be happy, it really does make a difference.
Michelle
 

canyncarvr

Subscriber
Joined
Oct 14, 1999
Messages
4,005
Likes
0
#5
sic 'em michelle!!

..yast yoking...

But, she's right. This weight, that weight, springs of this size, that size..it's all bogus in the hands of someone not understanding the suspension system.

It's a system very much to be suited TO the rider. Given your weight and another rider's being the same, it's likely a bike would be setup considerably differently.

re: valving and shims. Well...for GVs maybe. There are also things like completely different valving methods, machine work of the existing piston and such. 'Valving' can well be more complicated than putting in some washers. Besides...have you looked at stack sets for GVs? You going to tell me they make sense to the average rider?? Doubt it.

So, #1: Depends on the tuner.
#2: An expression of weight-per-distance, as in pounds-per-inch of travel...or in the case of your question, 'yes'.
and #3: The CORRECT spring would be the best.

If you can find a hot-wound (OEM) spring in your 'size', you'll be much better off than using a cold-wound after-market set. Ask jeremy (mx-tech) about that. Be prepared to hear an earful..take some notes!!
 
Joined
Oct 28, 1999
Messages
30
Likes
0
#6
Please excuse the ignorance and lack of info on my side. 2 Questions

1) What is GVs and ?

2) Accoring to Kawasaki the highest spring rate is .37 (Genuine kawa parts though) ?
 

BRush

Lifetime Sponsor
Joined
Jun 5, 2000
Messages
1,099
Likes
0
#7
1) "GV" stands for "Gold Valves" which is a line of aftermarket suspension valving sold by Race Tech

2) .37 may be the max KDX OEM offering, but plenty of springs with a higher spring rate exist on the aftermarket. MX-Tech set me up with a set of .44 kg/mm (but then I can't seem to stay on the sunny side of 200 lbs! :( )
 

fishhead

die you sycophant !
Joined
May 22, 2000
Messages
966
Likes
0
#8
In my recent experience correctly re-vaving the suspension with the correct springs is the best performance improvment you can make. I just re-valved and re-sprung mine and the difference was huge. I found a local guy who rides the same areas I do and the results are great! The bike tracks straight over the acceleration bumps and I can brake deep into the corners, traction is much improved and comfort is too! On a recent ride I was passing guys who used to blow by me at tough sections so its more of what i wanted:cool:
 
Joined
Dec 10, 2000
Messages
1,490
Likes
1
#9
Originally posted by Michelle
Spanky, this is not picking on you, it has been bugging me for ages. Everyone should set up the bike for themselves, not just those that weigh more. I'm running GVs, stock fork springs & a 4.4 rear, which works well for me, but is too soft for the guys. After we'd changed the shock spring, myself, my husband and a friend all took the bike for a ride - the conclusion was unanimous - different bike. It was balanced, it handles whoops well (I wouldn't know, I don't handle them well), it handles tree roots etc well too.

Michelle, you are absolutely right about suspension setup, it is totaly personalized for each rider, and since KDXer stated that he weighed 185lbs, the spring rates I reccomended for him should work well. When I say to put .41 springs in the forks of his KDX, it is simply because this is the spring rate that best balances the forks with the stock shock spring rate, which is well suited to a rider of KDXer's weight. In your case, you needed the opposite direction, softening the shock spring to match the fork, due to your light weight. Either way, the key is to have the suspension balanced front-to-rear, and have the proper spring rates to match your weight and ability. In stock form, the KDX suspension is very unbalanced,as the forks are much softer then the shock, and suspension action and handling suffer as a result.

And I didn't feel that you were picking on me, either:). This is a discusion, with different views and needs, and the more info presented, the better everyone becomes informed.