keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
I wasnt sure what to search for to find an answer to my question so i figured id post, my knowledge is lacking in the suspension dept :)

im working with forks from a 1985 XR250, and i know nothing about them (bought them used). when i bounce on the bike, there is a clunk as the forks reach the end of their travel on the way UP. it sounds like the fork is doing the opposite of bottoming out, my question is what is this a sign of? i havnt checked the oil level yet, im just getting started on this. just looking for a point in the right direction is all. thanks.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
that sound is the metals hitting when the fork completely bottoms.
If you weigh more than 150 pounds then you should put a stronger fork spring in it. If it still bottoms harshly then change the fork oil to a higher number (say 15 weight instead of 10 wt). If it still bottoms then put a little bit more oil in than what is recommended. If it still bottoms then stop nose diving from jumps!

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
jaguar, i think you misunderstood the noise is when the suspension returns to the fully extended position, not at the fully compressed point.

dbrace i was thinking it could be that, thanks. i still havnt had a chance to work on them yet, but I think i will start with changing the fork oil (if there is any in there). these forks are pretty old so I have a feeling im going to find out the seals are bad once I get some oil in there.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Keith, sounds like the springs are maybe sacked out and rattling, or maybe the bushings are shot and letting oil bypass on rebound and not as much rebound function or the top out springs could be broken . If I were you Id take a close look before riding anymore. There might be a decade and a half of spooge stuck in the bottom of that fork just swishing around ,maybe fouling up the works . Good Luck, Wear Gloves.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom