Suspension set-up KTM 300 EXC '03

saint_steven

Feb 17, 2003
Just a few rides on my '03 300 EXC and I knew the forks were harsh on the mid-stroke. I replaced front and rear springs for my weight of 200 lbs, (rear spring is the new titanium two-piece unit), and Moto-Pro re-valving front and rear (with rear bladder kit). The whole set-up works great at high speeds, regardless of terrain, but in the tight trees with roots and baseball-size rocks, its way harsh. What else can I do?

dog2

Sep 26, 2002
It sounds to me like Pro-action didn't valve it to meet your needs. In my experience, the only way to get plush action on rocks and roots is with good valving. I would call Pro-action, tell them your problem, and ask them to fix it for free. You also have to do a good job of telling them how you ride and where you want the suspension to work the best. In my experience, I have never found a KTM since they went with WP components that was as versatile (plush AND controlled) as the older Ohlins/Marz combo or Yamaha suspension, but a good valving can get it close.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Correct on the above statement. A reputable suspension shop should be able to deliver what you ask to you satisfaction. Give them a call and see what they can do. It might be a pain in the rear shipping back and forth but you should get what you pay for.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…