Suspension setup on 80's era Husqvarna's

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I have a 1984 Husqvarna AE500 chassis that I am putting a 430 Wide ration into. I am looking to set this thing up to replace my 1998 Husqvarna WR360! Looking for info on who knows where to find stiffer than stock fork springs for those old 40mm husky forks. Progressive struck out. I bought the recommended spring set and they were WAY too short and not a lot stiffer. The wire diameter was the same as stock.

Also looking for parts and specs to freshen up those old ohlins. I asked a couple of dealer/vintage shop types and they want to sell me Works Performance. I want to make those Ohlins work.

What do you think?

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Front Springs: Keep looking till you find the right sizes. You never know, they might not be Husky parts but something else. What type weight fork oil are you using? Try something one size heaver or a diffent amount of oil. When I raced my 84 500CR I couldn't locate any springs so I used some PCV pipe cut to fit to aid tension in the fork assembly.

Rear Shocks: I went with Pro-Action who rebuilt the units with factory parts.

Spend a few dollars now rather then spend all your time looking around to save a few bucks and miss a lot of riding time.

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
I can help you out in the shock department, I had Jeremy at MX-Tech rebuild my 81' Ohlins and he did great job. The fork springs I not too sure on, have you checked Hall's in IL. or Vintage Husky in San Marcos. Also the guy at VMX may still have some springs for you.

------------------
91 KDX250
80 Husky 430 XC
72 WR 250

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Thanks guys! I plan to spend bucks on the rear shocks...just what is the best direction. I have three complete sets of the ohlin piggy backs to mess with which is why I want to figure out how to use them. Sounds like there is a person to send them too...I will follow up on your advice.

I also went the PVC route in the forks..actually I put in a 1" slug of aluminum bar stock. Also used 25 wt fork oil. This was better. I also have been hunting on the net...looks like Scotts is the distributer for Ohlin stuff. For those in California they might be an option..

Halls husqvarna/Gas Gas has been a very good source of parts for me. Looks like Cagiva is building new parts to support tose old Huskies. To date I have been able to get:

A new first clutch (AE500) Complete, springs, shoes, hub, bearings, etc.
New rubber from air box to Mikuni carb
New Reed cage and Carb mount.
Rings for 500
Base gaskets.
Case gaskest.

Also been able to find things from Letko Competition Cycles in Kansas City.

Seems like most of what I need is there.

I am interested in your experience with the wr430. I just picked up another 1982 in reasonable condition. I read an article from that time period where a magazine had tested one for a year and had all kinds of problems. ( Cycle World )The worst issue was they were continually blowing main seals and sucking out the trans oil! Didn't sound too good. It came with a spare motor, forks, tank (aluminum), and shocks. I was going to try and put a 430wr in the later 84 chassis. Nothing to lose. Might gain a little suspension. What do you think? Is the later chassis worth trying?

Thanks again for the input.

Top Bottom