Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
I am thinking of buying a 1988 KDX this weekend. I weigh about 230 lbs. I will mostly be power line and trail riding. I do however like getting a little air in some of the old coal mining pits around here. Do you guys think the suspension will handle my weight and a few jumps say six or eight feet high and maybe twenty or more feet long? I am sure with mods it could. I am however on a pretty tight budget this year and plan to leave the bike mostly stock for a while.
Any feedback would be great.

rocko

Jul 29, 2002
Suspension. Well, I have a 2002 KDX 200, with stock springs on front and back, but I am going have to beef them a bit, and I will tell you what's up with that!! I started riding MX with the bike at the local race track, If I would have thaught I would get in to mx at 31 years old I would have got a kx, but a kdx is a great bike to start on. The front springs sould be changed for your weight and the rear. you can buy them per weight for about $130-$150 front and rear. I weigh 200 lb or so
and my stock springs are hard on me; case in point they are made for people who weigh at the most 170. not to say they are poor for us heavy guys, but when you start jumping like you are talking you will find
that it is dangerous. It will give you poor landing control, trust me I have jumped them 6 to 10 footers at 20-40 feet and bounced to the moon and I have wiped out because of it. Good luck have fun and be safe.

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
I just like getting a little air in the local coal pits around here. There are huge piles of column(stuff they pull out of the mines that is not coal) They get ridden alot and there are several nice single jumps that you can hit as fast or slow as you want. In my younger days I used to jump up to 60' in length with my '91 DR350R. It got real squirly on the landings. (I was 50 lbs lighter then) I was just looking for feedback. I apreciate your help.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom