goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
How much up play should the swing arm have when I put it on the stand and pull up on the rear wheel? I would say mine will move up about a 1/4 or more. Does this mean I need to replace the swing arm bearings and if so how are the Pivot Works kit vs OEM? Also, what skid plate do you recommend for the KDX? Thanks

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Swingarm or axle movement?

Are you saying that the swingarm moves at it pivot that much or that the wheel at the axle moves about a quarter inch up and down?

If the wheel/axle moves a quater inch you're Ok I think, mine does too and I just checked everything out.

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
If you're talking about dead free play (slop), then you shouldn't have any at all. Even slightly worn bearings or ****ings will telegraph to, what seems like giant free play at the end of the swing arm. If you're not sure what to look for, then take the bike to a shop and ask them what they think the problem is. After they tell you, ask how much the fix is, and then tell them you'll have to think about it.Go home and look at the adds in the back of the magazines to price pivot works complete kits. Big difference if you're able to do it yourself. Also, when looking at the free play, check out everything; swingarm, linkage and wheel bearings.
The main difference between Pivot Works and OEM is price. I've used both with the same results.
Most skid plates are good. they serve the purpose of protecting your frame and case. I have a Works Connection (I think??)skid plate on my 96 KDX. It was put on so long ago I can't remember the make. It works.

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Dont buy the Pivot works bearings these are uncaged bearings.....atfermarket bearing can be found for all swiing arm pivots,and MUCH better quality (get sealed bearing) they last longer but arent servicable..when they go bad just replace it...

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
Pivot works are uncaged if thats what the bike calls for. What the company does is to just make it easier for you. You could get all the universal bearing numbers and go to an auto supply house and have the same bearings that your local dealer carries but you'd have to try to find the oil seals,washers and whatever else comes with the PW set. Personally, I would like to be able to service my bearings rather than having to replace them. I hate to be a poor sport but I think Pivot Works is the next best thing to the invention of the helmet cam.I'll stick with them and their complete kits until I have a problem.
PS. The word that was starred out in my last post was ****ing. Is **** a forbidden word on this site?

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
I guess the starred out word is nongratis!! The word I wanted to use is the same as our current President (with an ing on it). Either this is a totally nonpolitical site or the PC movement in the USA has reached critical mass. Wonder if I can say Nongratis, President or Mass? Sorry.... guess I have a little too much time on my hands...Can't wait get my KDX back on the trailer.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by slcyclerace
Pivot works are uncaged if thats what the bike calls for.

Hmm. Not according to a number of folks here who have tried them and were surprised to get uncaged needle bearings. The stock KDX bearings (mine at least) are caged needles.

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
Hmmmm, indeed!! I just tore my swingarm and linkage off (it had to be done anyway) and yes, it does have caged bearings for the swingarm only. The bottom link pivot on the swingarm is full needle as is all of the linkage.I also checked a 99 YZ125 that happened to be in my shop and it's the same deal. It stands to reason that Full Compliment Units are able to carry a heavier load than cages since there is more bearing surface to carry the weight. Instead of the non bearing cage part there is an extra needle for every regular needle to spread the weight around. I was turned on to Pivot Works by Eric Gorr and, who am I to question the wisdom of Mr. Gorr??? Check out the Pivot Works website for yourself. What company other than OEM does make a good caged bearing kit for the KDX? Sorry but I can't answer that one.The following is a FAQ from the Pivot Works website.

Q) Are Pivot Works Bearing Kits as good as the OEM?

A) Yes. In ALL applications, these kits meet OEM standards for quality, durability, and fit. In most cases, these kits are of a higher standard. Where the OEM may use caged needle bearings, in most applications Pivot Works kits use Full Compliment bearings which are known to wear better, spread the load better, and function better. Our wheel bearings use a double sealed design where as the OEM may be a single sealed bearing.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Yes, you are right. I had my terminology wrong. The Linkage OEM bearings are full complement, mechanically retained needle bearings. What I was trying to get at is that there have been reports that the Pivot works bearings are not mechanically retained (e.g. they are grease retained) and one little mishap could result in a bunch of needles on the garage floor. Here's one such post:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29983&highlight=pivot

Per the wheel bearings, yeah - just about anything is better than the OEM bearings, I've had good luck with the CBR bearing kits.

Top Bottom