Swingarm bearing

jgino157

May 17, 2002
Well I must admit, I have not signed on here for a loooong time.....been way to busy. However you guys on here rock and have helped me turn my 220 into one kick ass machine. Anyway on to my question.....

I think its time to replace my swingarm bearings.....I went ridin in some serious wet sand this weekend, and could hear some nasty sounds coming from the swingarm pivot point. Does anyone know the kawi part numbers I'll be needin, and is there any tips or tricks to changing them. Also should I replace any other bearings while I'm tearin her apart??????

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Start with this:
www.buykawasaki.com
Save it in your favourites, very usefull.
Do a good search for the bearings with this sites' search function, tons of info. Let us know of any snags.
DVO

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
This is partially an economic decision. As you can see from the attached chart, the total for all OEM Swingarm bearings, sleeves, and seals is over $100. An aftermarket kit from Pivot Works is about $50. Last time, I used OEM but the price difference is just too large now so next time I'll probably go with Pivot Works. You should also inspect the linkage bearings.

Attachments

• bearings.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 157

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I have only had good experiences with Pivot Works. Best to check your rear suspension by putting the bike on a stand (or an upside-down bucket) so that the rear wheel is off the ground. Grab the rear wheel and see how it moves (left-right and up-down) and then check the different locations that it might be loose. Swing arm is very common and usually the left (chain) side will go first. Keep your hand on other pivot point while you are "wiggling" the rear wheel and you'll feel which ones are sloppy. Don't forget to check the axle. Wheel bearing get sloppy first before they start to seize.

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hey Guys,

I'm surprised that no one here on the JustKdx Forum seems to have ever heard of Treasure Coast Honda-Kawasaki... they are an OEM parts distributor in Florida... only difference is they DO NOT use OEM prices!

Case in point my 1993 KDX250...

Swing arm sleeves $6.81 each
Swing arm caps $7.05 each
Swing arm bearings $6.36 each

Lower shock stuff for my KDX250 (same part numbers as spec'd by BRush for his KDX200)
Sleeve $3.10
Seal $2.88 each
Bearing $6.03

ALL OEM parts for the lower shock mount cost $14.89 through Treasure Coast not the $23.37 you'll pay at the local dealer. Of course, you will have to add shipping costs, but if you order your Pivot Works kit online you'll have shipping charges, too.

What I do is compile my KDX shopping list for a couple weeks and send it in to Treasure Coast and wait a week and have UPS deliver OEM parts to my door! You can even ask them for a quote on prices before you buy!

Hope this is helpful! Check them out at http://www.honda-kawasaki.com/

Later...

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
That's cheaper, but even using your prices for the swingarm it's still $67 vs $43 for a PivotWorks kit from an online discounter like Motodepot

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The pivotworks swingarm kit comes with two longer (length) bearings to replace the two shorter ones used (per side).

Consider the pros and cons of that to your situation. The overall length amounts to about the same. The pivotworks units are caged as the oem bearings are. Note the pivotworks suspension kit does NOT use caged rollers.

Check your wheel bearings. You can tell easily if the slop on the side-to-side movement is the swingarm or the wheel.

CBR has a lifetime warranty on their wheel bearing sets. No, that doesn't mean they last a lifetime, but when they do fail again, word is that CBR doesn't flinch at keeping their word.

Contact info for them HERE!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…