switch to 2-stroke or keep the 4?

sdg5656

Jan 2, 2003
i have an 02 ttr 125L and i would like to move to a 2-stroke 80 or 85 so i can race. should i just keep the 4-stroke and race that or go to a 2-stroke. is the matinence on a 2-stroke worth it?

RanMan

May 22, 2002
What kind of racing are you wanting to do? That would have alot to do with it.
If you are MXing, then definately the 2 stroke. If racing enduro type courses, then it could be either one. If you are an aggressive rider or want to be, then the small 4 strokes is going to be dissappointing in the power, handling, and weight. My son went from an XR100 to YZ85 and absolutely loves it. He rides enduro type courses. The 4 srokes get alot more technical and powerful when you get up in the bigger ones, but the small ones are maily for trail riding and beginners. Hope this helps..

sdg5656

Jan 2, 2003
I would say 90 percent of the time im riding mx, and the other 10 im riding trails. I am also the more aggressive rider. Thanks for the info.

T_bone_799

Sep 14, 2002
Dude....if u haven't noticed yet, motocross is going thru a 4-stroke revolution....i heard that 2-strokes will be history by 2006! i'd send in ur TTR and then have them make it race ready.....no use learning how to ride a 2-stroke and then having to switch back to the 4-stroke in the 125 class. If you want to stay in the 85 class long enough maybe you can get the first 4-stroke 85cc class mxer!

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
It would take 3 times as much money to make a ttr125 race ready than to buy a 85 2 stroke! Basically it needs a major mods to the engine, frame and suspension. MAYBE, in a year or two, yamaha will make a YZ150F but until then all serious MX minis are 2 stroke. BESIDES that, so far the AMA does not make engine size exceptions for mini racing like they do in full size bikes. So if you race AMA mini classes with a 4 stroke it must be an 80cc 4-stroke!!!

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
well the rider that is winning most racest at our track was competing on a completly stock 2002 ttr125 and he was winning all the races he went inn wooping all 85cc bikes rider never let go of the gas and now he traded it inn for a 2001 yz80 and noone even comes near him now

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Go with the 2 stroke. Some day there won't be any and you'll never have experienced the rush.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by grass-digger
well the rider that is winning most racest at our track was competing on a completly stock 2002 ttr125 and he was winning all the races he went inn wooping all 85cc bikes rider never let go of the gas and now he traded it inn for a 2001 yz80 and noone even comes near him now

I'd have to say that all of your 85 class riders are not that good.   I'm not trying to be a turd buy my kid flat waxes every ttr125 we have ever seen and he rides a 50cc king Cobra.   The ttr is ill suited for mx racing!!!!  It is down on hp and the suspension sucks.

If your serious about racing and you will be in the 85 class the ONLY choice to be competative is a 2 stroke.  The 85cc bikes are purpose built race bikes.  They are designed for one thing...RACING.  The ttr line is targeted at weekend warrioriors and trail riders.   Yes with bookoo $$$ you can set them up good.  But without mods there is no comparison.

As for 2 strokes being gone by 2006 that is for NON-competition models.  Bikes designed for closed circuit racing are not included in that legislation.  So give it a few more years after that before they are gone.

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
My son rides a CRF150 in the 85 class. The bike has beaten every stock 80 2 stroker that he raced against heads up. The future is 4 strokes. We now have better suspension for the 4 strokes, so the handling difference is a smaller issue. It is really the rider that wins the race. If you like the power curve of a 4 stroke then ride a 4 stroke.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah i wasn't really accounting for that one. The new CRF si pretty nice. Still how does it place nationally? I do believe the future is 4 strokes but the new 4 strokes don't seem to have a typical 4 stroke power curve. I rode the yz250f and you had to wring that thing out just like a 125 to get power out of it. Checked out the CRF500 yesterday. It was a really nice machine. Only problem is when the greenies are done with complaining about 2 stroke emissions then certainly they will start complaining about the noise of the 4 stroke. At the supercross the 4 strokes were very noticably loud compared to the 2 strokes.

02yz85

May 1, 2002
i would get a 85 2 stroke for now, i'v read that yamaha will be coming out with a yz125f four stoke to take the 85 cc place. this would be the bike to race in the mini's, but until it's here, go with the 2 stoke.

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
Both of our local tracks claim to adhere to AMA rules. They put the CRF150 in with the 2 strokes 80 and 85 class. I did not read the rulebook, I took their word for it. The stock 80's were slower, the modified ones were faster. He is running stock for now. We'll increase compression later when he can handle more power.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Buy a 2-stroke 85 if your going to race MX. They only choice outside of that would be the CRF 150. But any good MXer on an 85 will wax an equally as good rider on the CRF. 70lbs. difference in the two bikes(CRF is heavy).

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My son had an 02 TT-R 125L for a few weeks and then when he decided to race we went with a 2 stroke 80. Anyone that tells you that a TT-R can compete with the 2 stroke 80's has been sniffing exhaust fumes waaaaay too long. And to try to make it competitive you will spend a whack of cash. I have no knowledge of the CRF150 but I can assure you that it would not be legal to run in the 85 cc class here as no 4 stroke over 100cc can run 85 class here. The other factor is that we couldn't run our L model TT-R in the 85 cc class because it exceeds the wheel size limit thus the only class to race it in was Super-Mini.

sluggerjoe

Dec 1, 2002
It's a little hard to believe a CRF150 is competitive with a big wheel 85 in the hands of a competent rider. The course would have to be a wide open set up and even then I have to wonder.

I've never been around the new CRF but when you consider you're giving up 70lbs right off the bat?? I'd have to see that one to believe it.

A stock TTR 125 vs even a KX65 is no contest with equivalent riders. This I do know.

Top Bottom