enduroxr

Nov 2, 2002
i been reading all the advice like weighing the outside peg, keeping the outside arm up, etc. my problem is that whem i ride on really hard ground at high speed thru big corners, peg weighted and butt on the outer part of the seat, i get alot of traction but when it finally breaks loose and CATCHES back, i go into a super highside. seperated my shoulder twice. isit bcos i didnt have enuf throttle or shut off? would i have done better standing? i really dont feel comfortable standing on my xr400. isit the bike being a 'sit down ' sort of bike? and about tire pressure, i seem to do best with 19-20 psi, anything less causes the front to sort of catch and twist in tight corner on hard pack. but u guys seem to do really well with alot less psi. hope u all can help me :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'll wake up Wardy for advice on how to handle the turn / side / catch process, but I can say that you definitely need to drop that pressure to a max of 14.

The grabbing that the tires do at lower pressures is called traction :) and is desirable! (I know, I'm being a smart-donkey, but I would suggest setting the bike up properly and learning how to ride it like that.)

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
The idea isn't that if you do ALL those things that it will "just work". You have to use throttle control like any other time and also have those pinkys on the clutch. You want to control your slide, adjust the point where traction occurs with the clutch, and throttle, and not get into that death slide of the ages expecting it not to throw a mile in the air.

over sliding is or can be a dangerous as endoing a double! in fact it can pile drive your butt into the ground with a hell of alot of force!

practice all those things we talk about in here, at slower speeds to get comfortable with it, on an XR you should not be having this problem simply since its about as NON-aggressive motor that you can ride, so back out of it a little an try it with these above points in mind.

wardy

Top Bottom