EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Got a problem, need a solution-
have a full size truck with 6' bed and while hauling dirt bikes I have to leave the tail gate down because the rear wheels stick out, I can't leave the tail gate down when pulling our camp trailer because the trailer tung is short.

I would like some sort of closure to retain gear and gas cans etc..What do you use?

I have seen steel mesh gates with a cut out for 5th wheel trailers, what about something similar with slots for the rear tire?
That would even retain the bikes and nix the need to tie down the rear to separate the bikes.

Any ideas welcome...

Silver Bullet

Mar 7, 2000
Don't know of anything for you to buy but there was a Fox/Chevy concept Avalanche that had the rear tailgate notched to accomodate the rear tires just like you're looking to do. I imagine anyone near you could weld up a mesh gate like the ones for a 5th wheeler and just make it to your dimensions.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by MX-727
Go to Pep Boys and get the AMP bed extender. Works perfectly.

http://www.amp-research.com/store/bedxtender.htm

He said he couldn't leave the tailgate down, how does that help.

I have been trying to find you who makes, or where I could get that Fox tailgate. If anyone comes up with it let me know.

Actually I manage two full size and a mini in my short box Chevy with the tailgate closed by putting them on an angle.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
easy and free solution:

hook tie-downs in the slots on each side where the tailgate's latching mechanisms are. hook the forward ends into the front tie-down hooks or somewhere on the bikes (footpegs for example). lift the tailgate up against the back tire of the bike and take out the slack in the tiedowns. the tailgate will stay open about three-six inches but will hold all gear in and will clear the trailer tongue. i did this for years without ever having a problem.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Sorry, didn't get that part about the trailer. Fox or Chevy had the tailgate custom made for that prototype I belive.

If you buy one of the metal flow through tailgates, I'm sure you could find a welder to modify it.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Can you take off the tailgate and used tie downs too hold in all of your gear??

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Goto a junk yard and get a tailgate. Then have it cut to fit the tires of the bike. As easy as they are to switch you can swap for the cut out one when you need to hual the bikes and leave the stock one on for everyday use.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
That works.
I work in a hitch shop. We carry special thick-wall tubing in two sizes that will fit in a class 2(small hitch mouth) or class 3 (2" receiver) reciever. THey are made to accomodate pulling a trailer with a camper-trailer and extend the hitch out about 2 feet. THey run about 40 dollars. Chick with a draw-tite dealer or hidden hitch. One of them makes it or pm me with your specific application and i can give you the number of the place i work.
Tim
TCVezina@aol.com

Top Bottom