franco

Feb 15, 2002
I looked up the specific part # and tried to order the 12V replacement bulb from a Kawasaki dealer, and it cost $7+/-. The mechanic at the dealer told me that it just takes a regular 12Volt bulb, which costs 50 cents at any auto parts store. A friend I ride with told me that my brake light gets brighter when I step on the brake, which would tell me that it’s a dual-filament bulb. The mechanic says it isn’t. Can someone please enlighten me? Is it or is it not a double filament bulb, and if not, would it make a difference (other than the price) whether I buy it at a dealer or auto-parts store?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I went the auto store route I'm not total sure about the blub # 5005 or somthing but it's a, 12V 10W. the stock blub is a single element, also get the the right wattage or you'll melt the lense.

franco

Feb 15, 2002
Thanks ya'll
No switch added. My friend must have been seeing things if it's not stock. I'll go the auto parts store route and save the 6 buck.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
A few things. Unless you have a brake light switch, you should not have a stock dual filament bulb.

If the bulb got brighter, it may have been cause you gave the bike some gas thus increasing the RPMS and the output on the stator. At idle the bulbs will dim.

Pull the bulb out, take it to a parts store. Match it up there. If it is a 1156 or 1157 (dual filament) you can get a LED replacement that will draw about no power and thus have more power for the front lights. At least so they do not dim as much at idle or low speeds. You can also get the LED bulbs in 194 size which is the other popular size for taillights.
The LEDs only cost about $6, normal bulbs in 2 packs are 1-2 bucks. If you do get the normal bulbs, get the sylvania long life units. they will easily outlast the normal bulbs by about 4xs!

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
The Stock bulb is a P10W, single filament 10W 12V bulb.

If you put a 1156 in it, it'll dull your headlight, unless you have a higher output electrical coil on your bike.

Jon!

(I'm amazed at how many different bulbs the same bike takes)

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Another thought is that a LED bulb has no filiment, thus is not prone to breakage due to vibration like incandescent bulbs. If the 6 bucks for a LED bulb is a deterrant, remember that it will last approx 10,000 hours, yes 10,000, and wont dim your headlight, not that anyone uses that crappy thing.

B.

P.S. If you get a MX rear fender you wont have these issues. ;)

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
You could indeed have a brake light using a single filiment bulb. The brake light control would consists of a resistor and a switch. The resistor would be in line when the brake was not being used thus dimming the bulb. But when the brake is actuated the resistor is taken out of line and the full current flows to the bulb hence making it brighter and still only using 10 watts.
BTW you can get LED replacement bulbs from most auto parts stores. I got one from autozone.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I tried four different type of heavy duty bulbs.... they all lasted no more than two or four rides... The best were these dual yet single filament ones that can be flipped over when they burn out.. to run the other filament..

Top Bottom