wallasaki

May 23, 2002
After last ride I noticed my taillight was out. Haven't taken it apart yet busy w/work. Bulb? Wiring? Where shall I start?

Rode for the first time w/ fellow kdxer - had a good time till he ran out of gas. Combined the tank / vent hoses to syphon gas to empty tank - I felt like that guy on tv - Mcgyver(sp?).

Last edited:

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Check the bulb, that is the most likely culprit. I am leaning towards an MX fender that would rid me of the light but it is handy when you end up riding after dark.

Jeff

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I've given up on my tail light. If I replace the bulb, it is always shot after 5 minutes of riding. From all the vibrations I guess?

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Hmmmm.... mine is suspended by rubber. Haven't had one die on me yet. Just converted to a brakelight by changing out the socket with an 1157 socket. The stock setup was so good for this, you just slip out the old socket and slip in the new one.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
If you replace the bulb with the correct bulb, then you'll find the life of it increases dramatically.. I'm not saying buy a kawasaki bulb, but get the correct one, I believe it's a R10W , not an 1156. If you run the 1156, it'll fit, and it'll light up, but it'll burn out quick, and it'll drain more wattage thus your headlight will be dimmer.

Jon!

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
get an led light from a bike shop. uses less power and should last forever. Also, check to make sure your tail light isn't loose. Most of the time you have to add another washer to the bolts, the rubber one gets compressed over time.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Only problem with an LED is that it takes exactly 12v to actuate it. This is bad in bikes without a battery. This means that your lighting will be intermittent as your bikes electrical system varies depending on RPM. Just some words for thought... :)

kdxme

Apr 7, 2002
I had water getting in and blowing the bulb on my 2001. took some silacone and sealed the underside of the fender where the wires went in and it took care of the problem. may not be your problem but i thought i'd put my 2 cents in

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Hmmmm.... mine is suspended by rubber. Haven't had one die on me yet. Just converted to a brakelight by changing out the socket with an 1157 socket. The stock setup was so good for this, you just slip out the old socket and slip in the new one.

So.....what did your use for switches and wiring to make the brake light work?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Also, check to make sure your tail light isn't loose. Most of the time you have to add another washer to the bolts.

Yeah. But not to the outside of insulator. That won't make any difference 'cuz the steel sleeve that goes through the insulator will be the limiting (tightening) factor.

The insulator is pliable enough to be worked through another washer. That will take up the slack pretty good.

The kdx taillight certainly gets pretty sloppy fit-wise pretty quick.

I've replaced mine once. Run my lights most of the time I ride.

kdxme is right. Sealing that hole in the fender helps keep water AND dust out of the taillight assy.

Hhhmmmm...guess that would = mud, 'eh? Yep. Keeps that out, too! ;)

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
sledman- I bought a hydralic brake switch and an extra regulator, wired the switch from the main power feed to the regulator to the extra wire in the dual socket. It would be easier to show you I think... :)

By my setup... the brakelight works all the time, a nice feature when riding with a group!

Last edited:

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Rethnal....what was "too much" .....KTM 250EXC? Too much much power in general, wrong power band for your riding needs....? Just curious about that bike. Thought it might make a good desert bike.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Sledman- anything beond 1/32nd of a throttle and it comes on like a banshee.... Way to harsh for the woods if you ask me. I would LOVE to try a 200EXC though....:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom