girlrider230

Jun 20, 2003
I guess maybe someone is trying to tell me that this sport is not right for me. I went riding yesterday which was the second time after my last big crash. The track was in pretty good condition until it started to downpour(keep in mind this is not a sandy track) we kept on riding and it was like riding on an ice skating rink it was so slippery. I was in the corner and wiped out not bad because I wasn't going fast enough in the first place. Picked my bike up and went to push it to the side of the track. My foot slipped out from under me and I couldn't hold onto the bike. When I came down, I dislocated my shoulder. ( It happens to me all the time so I am used to it) I have bad shoulders. I sat on the ground as I have been taught to do and put my knees up close to my chest grabbing onto them and pulling back to put it back into place. It didn't hurt to bad, I waited a little bit then got back out there. . When the track cleared up I started doing the doubles again and after a few times came up short on one almost putting me over the bars. Talk about bad luck. As long as I can race this weekend is all I care.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Uuuuggg!!! :eek:   Just thinking about a dislocated shoulder gives me the willies.  I can't believe you even got back on the bike after that one :worship:

Glad you didn't end up with anything seriously hurt!:thumb:

girlrider230

Jun 20, 2003
Yeah I think the only reason I did is because it's happen to me many times before so I am kind of used to it, it just still hurts the muscles around it. I used to play basketball in High school and that's when it all started. I had to have physical therapy and they recommended surgery but my parents didn't really want me to have it since I wasn't going to be playing any sports in college but I have taken up a sport anyway. I had to try and wear a brace but it didn't work so well so they always taped it up(it really sucked) around my stomach across my chest and around my arm and shoulder to keep it restrained more but I always loosened up the tape so I could still shoot the basketball. Man that really sucked. It always comes out when I am doing something simple or stupid and you wouldn't think it would come out. It doesn't make any sense. Stupid shoulder.

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Don't let it get you down (sounds like you didn't!) Also sounds like ridiculously bad conditions! Yikes!! I hope your shoulder is feeling better. I know about those occasional "Why am I putting myself through this - maybe I'm not meant to do this sport" thoughts - like as I was sitting in the hospital on Saturday getting 8 stitches in my ankle from a DH mountain biking wreck (wish I could just wear my MX boots for that...) But within a matter of hours I always end up wishing I was back on my bike already. Glad to hear you were back on your bike right away - that IS amazing!

Are you considering having the surgery? Sounds like you don't have any intention of leading a non-active lifestyle - maybe it would help in the long run? I know it's hard to commit to, because it means so much time off and in rehab. I don't know anything about shoulder injuries, but I know with my knee, looking back - I'm so glad I had both of my surgeries done. Not only am I able to do things without it giving out, but I would have destroyed my knee by now if I didn't have it fixed. Is it something where they think they can fix it and you can get back to 100%?

Anyway - good luck on your race this weekend!!

girlrider230

Jun 20, 2003
I've thought about it, and it is probably worth having the surgery. I just would go nuts with the recovery time and all of that. Plus with the shoulder surgery I have heard of some people having it and it not even helping them. Do you know of anyone who has had it and it has been successful.

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
One of my husband's co-workers had shoulder surgery last fall - he's back to mountain biking again and I know he is doing really well - I'll have to ask for some more specific details though.

What you're saying sounds like what I ran into with researching knee surgery. You end up hearing horror stories about people who wish they'd never had surgery (people with problems are the ones most likely to speak up, and people retell those stories, so you hear a disproportionate amount of them), but a good number of the horror stories are from people who were seriously out of shape to begin with or disregarded their rehab/physical therapy protocols, or re-injured it before it healed, or something like that. Make sure you get the whole story before you let it dissuade you from doing it.

I expected to be truly miserable with the sitting around too, but that part wasn't as bad as I expected. You're drugged for the first few days when you can barely do anything, and then you're constantly doing stretching and muscle building exercises after that. Especially when you really want to get back to sports, you have the motivation to work hard at PT. Overall it can end up being a good thing - all the time at the gym can get you into better shape all around, and you learn a lot about your body - how to keep strong and prevent future injuries.

Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
HI girlrider230 ...I dislocated my shoulder riding race horses..a big colt fell on me coming off the track. I reached up to grab him and could lift my arm. Hurt till someone put my shoulder back in.It was sore for a long time but I didnt want to quit so I to taped my arm to my body and went on with it.. water skiied that way too. I was 25 and invencible..ha. After a while ponying horses and getting my arm jerked out and just general use it got so bad it would come out just waving at someone.made me hesitant..not good for working horses.
Anyhow at 30 I had surgery,a pin was put in.Im 51 now and have had no problems since.. I dont remember it being terribly long healing.I still do rotations with it to keep it loose but at worst is a little stiff.Definitely worth it to me !! Picking up my bike or anythg else is no problem.
Good luck I know how frustrating it is..

girlrider230

Jun 20, 2003
HI Pegasus.. Thanks for the input. I am thinking of starting to go to the gym to help build more muscle because I really think that will help some. So pretty soon I should be starting on that. That is what my PT had told me to do anyway I just never did it because it seemed I never had time or didn't want to make time. But it will end up really bad if I don't do something about it. They call it multi-directional dislocation meaning it can come out in any direction. And the Dr. also said that I need to help build muscle around it. So I guess I will start with that and then we will see how it goes from there.

Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
Sounds good !.Try not to hurry it.. pay attention to your body and build slow..in the long run its faster.
Advice I didnt follow which led me to surgery was... not to continue sports or what ever had potential of stressing it..every time I stressed it the damage was greater. duh :-)

On the track we had a saying about the horses.."If you dont wait they make you wait" in that if proper time and care wasnt taken for healing before another race, recovery time increased.
Im only a little better about taking time to heal..I hate being down. This winter I wrenched my knee,made 2 quilts I dont even sew...and it was hell watching everyone ride.
Patience was my affirmation....ARGHHHHHHH !!
Good luck and let us know how ya come out.

Last edited:

girlrider230

Jun 20, 2003
Thanks!! I'll keep ya updated. I am still planning on racing this weekend as long as it holds up. It doesn't hurt to awful bad. I have been taking my motrin 800 they gave me for my leg and ribs from my last big crash, and that seems to be helping the soreness. I am a little nervous since this will be my first race. Just praying I don't get hurt practicing tonight with my luck. I will not be riding friday before of course. Hopefully all goes well.

Top Bottom