Talk me out of it or into it

Cantex

Feb 24, 2006
I'm a middle-aged street rider who has decided to leave the pavement. Getting way too dangerous out there. Wanting to get into some woods type riding, trails, etc. Absolutely no MX type stuff. I want to just putter around. Have it narrowed down to the KDX 200/220 or the KLX 300. Price isn't an issue at this time (between those two bikes only because they are similar, not price in general). What is an issue is my concern about the 'on-off' power of the 2-stroke compared to the lazy, predictable nature of the thumper. Does the KDX ride that much differently than a KLX would as far as power delivery? Would I be happier with engine braking and low down torque? I just recall the pingers being night and day 'hairy' compared to the 4-strokes back when I was growing up in the 70's. Has the KIPS system changed this? I don't want to have to wring its neck to get anything out of it, then get into trouble for doing so. Please remember my forte is on the street. It doesn't automatically translate over to easily navigating between trees. I know this is a loaded question in a KDX forum but please try to give me a thought-based argument for either bike. Thanks everyone.

Cantex

cyclebradd88

Apr 19, 2003
If you have the opportunity, try to get a ride on each. Otherwise, I would say that a bone stock KDX200 is very mild (compared to MX bikes) and a KLX is even more mild. If you are really looking for the ultimate trail poke and not concerned with nimbleness, you would probably be better-off with the KLX thumper.
Now the rest of you...commence flaming me. :)

nanddm98

Jan 25, 2006
I have an older (85) KDX 200 and a 05 Z400 quad that is heavily modded. So it is kind of apples/oranges but the power delivery is way different. It has taken me a bit to get used to the two stroke after riding my 4 stroke. I think the 4 stroke has strong power throughout but doesn't have that "punch" that I get on the bike.

As a middle aged guy myself, I like the 4 stroke but since I got the bike for peanuts and it is in awesome shape, I ride it too.

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
I have owned nearly all of them in the past. I had a 90 KDX200 that I rode stock and then with pipe and reeds. With pipe this was one of my favorite bikes off all time and went anywhere just like a mountain goat. Then for change of pace I went with 4 strokes including an XR250 and now an XR400. I tried my friends KLX300 but I much prefered the XRs as far as 4 strokes go. Fast forward to last year when I bought a new KDX220 for my grandson who was out growing an XR200. I decided to keep the 220 stock until I felt the grandson could use and appreciate the extra power of pipe. Now I bounce back and forth between my XR400 when family comes along and the box stock KDX220 whenever I can get my hands on it. A box stock KDX220 is an extremely mellow 2 stroke that is so easy to ride. The power starts low and winds out with none of the typical 2 stroke wheel spinning hit. The motor easily pulls short shifting to stay in good portion of power band or wind it out if trails open up. I have a Procircuit pipe in garage for this 220 but both me and grandson like it so much just like it is that we will have to just wait awhile before installing. My normal riding area is tight trails and hills where I usually only use 1st through 4th gears. And then very seldom can use any hard hit. So for the old and slow guys like me and also for anyone just getting used to full size dirt bikes especially in tight trails the stock KDX220 is absolutely my favorite.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
I certianly agree with Turtle, I seem to keep goiing back to my kdx220 and realizing how much fun they are. I haven riden my freinds MX 2 strokes and 4 strokes. As soon as I get off, sure i want one, but then I get back on my 220 and realize how much I love it. It has a little of everything you want, especially at 45 years old!

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Another thing to consider...you can get a flywheel weight for either of the 2 strokes, and that will knock down their hit even more.

With the KDXs, it is all about throttle control. It CAN light up, but you have to make it do it. If you just want to lug around in the woods, don't worry about the "hit" because you'll never know it is there. I like the fact that my little KDX200 can go very slowly, but when I fan the clutch, the personality changes a lot. If you put a big enough flywheel weight on it, you will de-fang whatever hit the bike has. I bet you will be able to handle the KDX just fine.

The KLX just never interested me. It seems like an odd bird. A CRF250X or WR250F, now that is another story!

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Most of the streetbikes(sportbikes) I have ridden have a powerband pretty similar to my KDX 220. You know when your in it because the power is instant when you need it. There is still plenty of power outside of the band so you don't need to worry about falling out of it unless your on a nasty hill or something.

Actually, some of the streetbikes have a powerband that hits way harder than the KDX. The KDX will take a little more work to ride than a four stroke but is in no way hard to ride...just different.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
I will give you this 42 year old, non racers, opinion. The klx300 has some issues with jumping out of gear at the worst possible moment, and it is heavy. Xr400 runs like a finely crafted swiss watch...but it is REAL heavy. The kdx200 is ported such that it prefers the rpms in mid or upper revs. The 220 which I ride is ported from the factory for low and mid rev range. It is a nice predictable bike. No scary hit. 240lbs...feels much lighter. No compression braking, like you would get on a four stroke. I put the pc pipe on mine and dropped one tooth on the drive sprocket. Where I ride is tight,rocky,slippery. This bike will do what ever you want. Poke around trails with your kids,climb a big hill at the sandpit, bark and lift the front tire if you wick the throttle wide open...it is all up to you. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. This is the last bike I will ever own. Very reliable and easy to maintain.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom