someday

Jul 10, 2000
I got home night before last after being stuck in Omaha. I had to be one of the first thousand tavelers, all 3 airports I went through were eerie as they were so empty.

I'm having a hard time getting geared up for a 2 day drive and leaving home again.

I start preparing and packing within hours or decide to bail. What would you do?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
First-I am (as I'm sure everyone else is) glad you made it home safely.
Second-What would be better for your state of mind. Sitting home pondering all the recent events, or sharing a week of riding, with 160 of you fellow Americans?

My advice - get some shuteye.
Grab the paper and get a coffee.
Load the bikes into the truck/trailer.
We can all prep the bikes together when you get here.

Personally, I need this. It's my way (granted it's a small way) of showing the terrorist scum that they DID NOT SUCCEED!!!! If I stayed home, I would be letting them control my life. That's exactly what they want.
They'll not get that satisfaction from me!

I hope you make the trip. But, we'll all understand if you feel you can't.

Keith

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Only you can make this decision but my thoughts were close to not going with everything going on. my choice to go is based on the following
1)my life will not be disrupted by terrorists
2) I (as well as my family) need a break from this insanity. I have found myself dropping into depresson from information overload and a few days riding and bench racing is what I need
3) this is a ocne a year chance to gather wiith some great guys

The final decision is yours and must be based on what you feel is important to keep yourself on an even keel. I was not trapped away from home or loved ones.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I feel that WE must get on with our lives. I mourn the loss of our fellow Americans but WE cannot allow terrorist to change our lives. If they change our lives then they have succeeded in the their goal.
It is a difficult decision and if you choose not to attend, the members of DRN will respect your decision and support you 100%. It is my personal decision to go and spend some time with my friends that I have never met. This will allow me to express in person the things I have difficulty typing. I want to send a message, "LIBERTY WILL PREVAIL"!

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
What Could Be More Inspiring ?

.......than a gathering of 166 Americans all flying the Stars & Stripes, and honoring our symbol of unity and resolve

I want to have a poster-sized picture of this precious DW 01 moment! don't you want to be in that picture?

Last edited:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I hear you, this is poor timing, isn't it?

It is really bad timing for me, because my wife is currently running a foot race in the mountains of Colorado, and she will only be home for about a day or 2 before I leave again.:(

Other points to add

1. Gas prices are still ok
2. Think of all the preparation you have done
3. If you don't go, you'll have to hear about how great it was for the rest of the year!
4. Dirt bikes are cool!

The only thing I am worried about is the timing of some type of escalation/war in the next few days. Cross your fingers!

You know the song "Wild horses couldn't drag me away (from dirtweek)"?

Well, wild CR500AFs on nitro couldn't drag me (or keep me) away!

someday

Jul 10, 2000
Keep talkin'!

I've dug up most of the significant camping gear, bikes are in decent shape, Suburban may actually make it, work'll survive w/o me,...:)

B

biglou

How 'bout this:

Get your keister in that truck and move it! Trust me, when you get there, you'll know why you came.:cool:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
For you guys that have not been remember this, this board will light up the monday after like you have NEVER seen and you will be SICK reading how much fun it was if you weren't there to experience it!

Ask Thump or Twinspar how they felt the week after last year!

It was the coolest experience last year. Don't miss it. You'll have fun in our events, bench race every evening, and meet a bunch of new friends!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I have looked forward to this since I decided to go. I understand how you feel but if you think about it, what should you do in a time of trouble? Be with family and friends. We as humans are meant to, and need physical and emotion releases. Dirtweek will be that. An enormous opportunity to relax and get everything else offof your mind.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Offroadr
For you guys that have not been remember this, this board will light up the monday after like you have NEVER seen and you will be SICK reading how much fun it was if you weren't there to experience it!

Ask Thump or Twinspar how they felt the week after last year!
what he said. My truck broke down enroute last year and by Friday night I was as depressed as could be thinking about what I was missing. The next couple weeks was even worse:think

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
You owe it to yourself.

I loaded up and went to the track today. I'm going tomorrow, too. I haven't felt this good for 5 days.

I've spent too many hours glued to the television already. Hell, I can't even count the times I've choked back tears this week. :(

COME ON DIRTWEEK!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I'll put it this way:

I started planning for this years fest about 15 minutes after arriving at last years fest. Wild horses can't drag me away, and wild terrrorists sure as crap aren't going to drag me away!!! My flags are and will be flying high!

Wish I could show those terrorists what DRZ roost feels like!:p

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I went riding today. I'm really out of shape, trying to get back in the groove. Still trying to burn up gas from June! Good thing it started out high octane!

I felt a bit more comfortable today, then almost collided head first with my buddy (nobodys fault), and decided "that's it, I'm packing it up. no more riding until Dirtweek!"

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I had been debating the trip all week myself. But it's like my wife said" If you dont go because of the tragic events of this past week, then the scum bags win". I cant wait to get out of town now. Personally, Ive mourned long enough. Its time for me to get mad and move forward with my life, been in a holding pattern for 5 days, now I need to focus and move on. DW should help alot.
Hope to see you there.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Your traction will be excellent on top of terrorist!:p
Wish I could show those terrorists what DRZ roost feels like!
That would be nice Cal but I would rather put knobbie tracks up the middle of the gludius maximus.:p Like Nike says, " JUST DO IT!"

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Originally posted by MotoXsparx
I had been debating the trip all week myself. But it's like my wife said" If you dont go because of the tragic events of this past week, then the scum bags win". I cant wait to get out of town now. Personally, Ive mourned long enough. Its time for me to get mad and move forward with my life, been in a holding pattern for 5 days, now I need to focus and move on. DW should help alot.
Hope to see you there.

Ditto. I've had to force myself to think about DirtWeek and keep the preperation going this last week. I'm getting to the point that I can ignore my feelings about it... I'm sure we'll all have plenty to think about after next week, but during DirtWeek, I am going to have a good time, if for nothing else, to spite the bsturds.

Top Bottom