Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
Well, it's been a tough decision but I have decided this is my last winter in MI.

I love this state from about mid April till late October. but those monts in between are pretty unbearable for this FL transplant. 4 winters was enough. I'm done. I'm going back home before the snow flies again. I plan on being here through out the summer before I head home, so I'd like to get a few more rides in with some of you guys before I bail out.

Honestly, a better group of guys I have never met, than the MTR crew. It's been a priviledge and an an honor to have met and riden with as many of you as I have.

Hope to see you all again soon.

-Scott and Speed Bump

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Winter in Michigan has its challenges, not for everyone. See you on the trail before you leave.
Any chance you can pick up a place in Florida, close to public riding with a fire pit and some RV hookups? :cool:

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
I already have a place 20 minutes from Ocala Nat. For. but my HOA might get pissed about RVs and fires.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Leaving

Wolf Child said:
Well, it's been a tough decision but I have decided this is my last winter in MI.

I love this state from about mid April till late October. but those monts in between are pretty unbearable for this FL transplant. 4 winters was enough. I'm done. I'm going back home before the snow flies again. I plan on being here through out the summer before I head home, so I'd like to get a few more rides in with some of you guys before I bail out.

Honestly, a better group of guys I have never met, than the MTR crew. It's been a priviledge and an an honor to have met and riden with as many of you as I have.

Hope to see you all again soon.

-Scott and Speed Bump

DAMN WOLF CHILD,
I MEET YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME FOR A TRAIL RIDE AT EVART, AND NOW YOU'RE BAILING ON US :yell: YOU HAD BETTER GET SOME QUALITY RIDING TIME IN WITH US BEFORE YOU BAIL, AND THAT INCLUDES COMING UP TO THE CLUBGROUNDS AT JACKPINE/LMC AND A RIDE OUT AT PORTLAND TRAIL RIDERS M/C. C'MON LETS :ride:

DAVE L.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
One more trip to Drummand ? Moving to Fla ? I was born there. Too hot for me. I burn and peel just taking out the garbage. My sister is moving out of Fla. Says she wants to move back to the United States.Anyhoo,I'm sure we'll pass paths before you leave and toss back a few. :cool:

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
as it stands now. I KNOW I'll be down there the first part of May. D.I. is a big maybe for me. funds and time permitting.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I can relate, this winter wore me out too. I've decided to take a trip to Fla every winter from now on.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Sounds like Freddie is getting ready for retirement....
Factory Freddie the Snow Bird!!!!

WC - we have never met, but I wish you well in your return to the Sunshine State.

bje

May 22, 2006
Wow Wolf Child. Congrats to you!!!

Man... you're gonna be missed!

Looking fwd to getting out a number of times with you this summer before the big move.

GOBUCKS

Mar 12, 2008
hey Wolf i go to Florida riding all the time so let me know if your interested I have a couple publc riding areas down there I go that might interest you...

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
I'm a little suprised, but I guess a good job offer is hard to pass up. Good luck Scott. Just be careful of the log crossings down there, I hear they can bite back.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
So Wolfy,, do us all a huge favor and impart some of your hard earned knowledge to us yankees will ya..
What are the legal requirements down yonder.. Do they have an ORV sticker system like ours?? Are there as many Green Coats running around looking to make a buck down there or is it more relaxed? How do you handle the heat of summer down there? Do you find yourself getting used to the heat tothe point you can ride without feeling like your gonna pass out?? What are jobs and taxes like down there?? I have heard that you can own property down there and pay NO taxes on it,, any truth to it??
Price of gas? Food? Lots of riders?
YOu know,, giveus the ol full tour..
Good luck in your new endeavour..
Woodsy

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
woodsy said:
So Wolfy,, do us all a huge favor and impart some of your hard earned knowledge to us yankees will ya..
What are the legal requirements down yonder.. Do they have an ORV sticker system like ours?? Are there as many Green Coats running around looking to make a buck down there or is it more relaxed? How do you handle the heat of summer down there? Do you find yourself getting used to the heat tothe point you can ride without feeling like your gonna pass out?? What are jobs and taxes like down there?? I have heard that you can own property down there and pay NO taxes on it,, any truth to it??
Price of gas? Food? Lots of riders?
YOu know,, giveus the ol full tour..
Good luck in your new endeavour..
Woodsy

well, it's like this:

FL has no STATE income taxes but some (very few) do have municipal taxes.

there is no official orv stickers, although many ORV parks have adopted annual passes that must be purchaced for each park you ride. The problem is, some of these places are governed by the USFS and the rules are a little grey, so even the rangers arent really sure whats going on. the RAngers you meet in FL usually have much better things to do than harrase people just out to have fun. they look for the REAL law breakers more often than not. they are cool for the most part.

since converting bike to DS is completely out of the question there, you either have to have a bike from another state, or by something that doesnt say "not for highway use" on the title or you are pretty much screwed for getting a plate there.

License plates go by weight class instead of value so tages for pretty much everything but comercial vehilcles and dump trucks are cheap.

No insurance is required for motorcycles of any kind (unless mandated by your finance co)

No helmet law (as long as you are over 18 and have $10,000 personal medical insurance)

property taxes are like everywhere else. it depends on where you live, but as a general rule they are pretty inexpensive. example: I have a $250k 1700sq ft home in a nice quite subdivision in the north side of Orlando( best school district in the area ). annual taxes are about $3200. but going toward Ocalla in more rual areas they can be less than half that on acreage. general cost of goods is mostly similar, but be cause the state IS fueld by tourism, you can see some real price fluctuations. for example, dont got to I-Drive in orlando expecting to order off the dollar menu at McDonalds, it's not there and the prices on everything else are higher, but leave the touristy places and is same ol' same ol'. The further you get from the tourist hot spots, the lower prices get. and thats on pretty much everything.

you get used to the heat. the trick is to stay hydrated and keep moving. if you ride places like Ocala Nat. Forest, you can always just swing into ALexander springs st pk ( or any of the other natural springs in the area and go for a quick dip in the yr round 65 degree water that is crystal clear and gator free.

while it is possible to live on the cheap down there nothing is free. and it all depends on WHERE you chose to plant yourself. If you dont mind living off the beaten path surounds by some real hicks, you could live quite comfortably for very little cash. wich brings us to employment, sadly, the job market there is much like everywhere else right now. there ARE jobs to be had, but it depends on your chosen profession.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks for taking the time to reply to that Wolfy. While moving is NEVER a fun time I bid you Godspeed and a troublefree move!!
Dont forget to keep us informed here about your adventures down there!!!
Woodsy

Top Bottom