Tank-stock vs IMS

yater

Nov 7, 2003
It looks like the IMS goes for about $200. I've read in past posts that people have problems with rubbing on the clamps? It seems like IMS would want to make a tank that fits rather than have owners grinding on their bike. Does clarke make a tank? Does anyone know of a reliable source for cheaper (than oem) tanks? New or used? This is a '00 kdx200

Last edited:

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
Clarke does not currently make any KDX tanks. If enough people emailed or called them about it, they might be inclined to do one. This does not mean one guy calling ten times a month however as they do listen and they do keep track of request.

Britt Boyette

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
I have an IMS tank and I ground the 2 pinch bolts that protrude past the triple clamp. It is no big thing.

Bob

KawiDave

Feb 3, 2005
I bought my beautiful '02 KDX with both the stock and the IMS tank/sides. To tell you the truth I went back to the stock tank because the ergos didn't feel right to me. I didn't notice any rub but I did reverse the bar clamps and change the bar before putting the IMS on. Don't get me wrong the IMS is great for plinking around on the trail but I prefer the open feel of the stocker for more aggressive rides. Hope this helps!

yater

Nov 7, 2003
I figured out why I got such a deal on my 2000 kdx. The previous owner had been running the bike without a rubber "ring" in the gas cap. Apparently, he thought the tank was damaged and lowered the price accordingly. I had an extra cap and ring from my old ('97) kdx and put that one in there to solve the problem. I haggled $250 off the price of the bike for a damaged tank!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…