tristan

Jun 12, 2001
is it safe to tap the oil bolt at the bottom of the engine cases (2000 cr125) b/c i stripped the bolt and need to retap it but i dont know if its possible, also could i do it myself or is it safer to pay someone(how hard is it to do) thanks in advanced for the help

if this message doesnt make much sense, sorry, but im really tired, i just hope u can understand enough of it :)

B

biglou

I'm sure it is possible. I re-tapped a buddy's 99 RM250 oil drain bolt a while back. I forgot what size it was originally, but the next size up was a 1/2" diameter with virtually the same thread pitch (threads per inch), and required no drilling. I pucked up a 1/2" magnetic drain plug from the local auto parts store for about $3.50 after tapping it out. I'm sure someone here with more machining experience knows what the sizes were off the top of their head.

What is the year and model of your bike? This will determine what hole size and thread pitch you currently have, and thus tell you what size you want to move up to.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
tristan said:
i dont know if its possible, also could i do it myself or is it safer to pay someone(how hard is it to do) QUOTE]

tristan.

Another way is to install a heli-coil.

You can tap it out to a larger size is there is enough material around the hole. But, you have to be very careful to get it straight. If the hole is a little crooked, the sealing washer will not seal.

Check around some of your local shops to see if any of them install heli-coils. Might be the best way to go if you don't have the experience to do it yourself. :thumb:

Last edited:

tristan

Jun 12, 2001
thanks for the help guys, ill go to my local honda shop and see if they can give me an estimate, thanks again!!!

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i stripped out the same bolt on my ttr125l a few years back and it was around 50$ to have them fix it...just now i had to throw some heli-coils in my yz250f that i just bought(previous owner was a bit stupid) and the heli-coil kit for it cam with ten coils and everything to put them in...they are easy to do, but pricey if you screw up.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
tristan said:
where can you buy the heli coil kit at? do the new threads last, or canthey fall out?

tristan.

They sell them at many auto parts stores now. But,the size that you need may be hard to find at a auto parts store. If you have an industrial hardware store nearby, they should have them. Take your drain plug with you so they can match it up with the right thread.

The kit for that size will be a little pricey. Might be better to find a shop that can install just one for you. If properly installed, they don't fall out. It is a stainless steel thread insert that is much stronger than the original aluminum thread.

Top Bottom