cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
ok so i heard that you are saposed to pull in the cluth when you tap your rear brake in the air to get the front end down. is this true if so why?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
kawicam250 said:
thats right, when that rear wheel locks up at any time, youd better be pulling in the clutch, or you could end up like JBS during the 06' MX season( cant remember the race), remember the wreck when his engine started smoking :nod: .

I think that was Unadilla. I don't believe he knew it was going to detonate. That was one seriously ugly get off.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
And when your trying to get the front end up, aren't you sopposed to rev the engine??

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I can see someone is a little mad. Im 12 years old, you expect me to get every word right?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
150rguy said:
I can see someone is a little mad. Im 12 years old, you expect me to get every word right?

That's what I expect of my 12 year-old.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
150rguy said:

Not mad, just trying to help you out..

If I don't know the correct spelling of a word, and there are quite a few that I just can't ever seem to get, I use the spell check.

Try it sometime, you may find that it helps you sound a bit more intelligent.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
If this is too hard, download and install Mozilla Firefox. It will underline in red (like Microsoft Word does) the words you spelled wrong and will correct them for you. I live in a French community and English is a second language, but I still try to make no mistakes and express myself as clearly as possible. Try that :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Nobody told 150r guy about report card time???? My son Ryan and I was at byron,il., and before he went out to practice he put the bike in gear to go and the bike died, curious, 2nd lap of practice going over a tabletop and he pulled in the clutch and tap the rear brake and the engine died,then he almost did, right in front of me! Around 97 at redbud a guy I know killed his engine doing the leap, he got to ride in a turbo copter to chicago! 70's and 80's we never did no stunts like that, still got descent air. The upside down forks meant we could land with the front wheel and run over railroad ties! I do not think I could ever tell someone to do it, it is very dangerous, why not push the bike down and let off the throttle? How come people don't ask about the front brake in the air? See brokenneck.com, no really, braking in the air is best left till you are comfortable in the air to use it and start with little low speed, camel hump style, single jumps.

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
I read in a mag that your only supposed to tap the back brake if you can't get the back wheel down by yourself because if you tap it then your wheel stops spinning and then has to start spinning again which will probably lose you a bit if time if you do it enough.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I saw some guys lift a foot and push up on side panels to get the bike to lean down. The rear brake worked well for me, it really gets the nose down and quick.

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
whats the big deal? So i dont know how to spell supposed and I spelled it saposed. you still know what I meant and what word I was trying to spell.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
cawkazn said:
whats the big deal? So i dont know how to spell supposed and I spelled it saposed. you still know what I meant and what word I was trying to spell.
If you where an orange jacket we know wear you are.
You know what I meant but when I read it I think it looks like an idiot wrote it and I sure don't like people thinking I am an idiot. Of course you may not care what people think of you as long as you remember to pack the fries in the bag :nod:

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
this thread is getting off topic.

thanks for the answers, the thought of the bike dying never popped into my mind. and no doubt saved me a trip to the hospital for when i try it ;)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It gets *real* quiet flying through the air on a bike with the engine stopped because I, I mean you, didn't pull the clutch before tapping the rear brake.

I never use the front brake in the air because you can't restart the front spinning once/if it drops too far.

On 4 strokes merely letting off the throttle is enough to drop the front end...not much need to hit the rear brake.

As to why one should attempt to make their posts easily read...many people get tired of trying to interpret poorly written posts and skip them, I know I do. I figure if it isn't important enough to the writer to make the effort to have it easily read, it isn't worth my time to decipher it so I can answer.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I knew four strokes could brake using compression on ground, but I didn't know this applied also in the air. I'm anxious to try this on my CRF.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
High Lord Gomer said:
As to why one should attempt to make their posts easily read...many people get tired of trying to interpret poorly written posts and skip them, I know I do. I figure if it isn't important enough to the writer to make the effort to have it easily read, it isn't worth my time to decipher it so I can answer.

Thank you Gomer, well stated.

My take on this issue of spell checking your posts isn't like Gomers. I just delete anything I can not read.

Mully

Jul 4, 2006
Tapping the rear brake compensates for bad form jumping. I've paid for more hours of professional instruction than I want to remember (for my son). He has been instructed to stay over the bars power all the way up, AND if need be squeeze with knees and push the front back down.

This technique was shown by balancing the bike on a stand and having the rider try and push the front down with just pressure from the hands. Then the instructor had the rider squeeze with the knees and push down, the tire went down everytime.

Instruction down here has the riders lift or "bunny hop" with knees when they're needing that extra lift and to force the front down on the landing. That way the bike is in position for immediate power upon the landing. If you flat land under full power and your back on the seat (tapping the rear brake) the power will pull you back out of position. My 9yo has already worn out his seat cover on a brand new 6 month old bike. So squeezing and working the balance with your knees really gets the bike back in position where full power can be applied sooner.

Hopefully we're back on track with this subject instead of giving a "kid" a hard time about his grammer. Believe me more kids need to learn proper riding I've seen waay to many ambulance rides from kids going about it the wrong way.

Later....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom