Teaching a kid to ride input appreciated

Frank

Jul 31, 1999
Well guys, my six year old just got a CR50F and he is jazzed. We have spent the last couple of weeks working on the fundamentals. We have a vacant lot down the street and my wife and I let him ride back and forth between us so he could get used to gas and brake. Then he graduated to clockwise and counter-clockwise circles. then to figure 8's. Then we moved to second gear (no shifting, just starting in second).

My in-laws have 50 acres that is pretty rockin. We went out and just spent some time in the pasture and riding to and from the ponds on the property. He did awesome.

He is now asking me about shifting. I really don't want to overwhelm him but one of the things we learned last week was that sometimes he couldn't get up an incline without downshifting. I don't want to hold him back, but I don't want to push too hard either.

We ended up spending the rest of the afternoon focusing on upshifting and downshifting between second and third gears.

Do any of you have any advice? Am I on the right track and just continue to watch for cues from him for what he is ready for?

I really must admit that I'm so proud and excited that he is doing this well. He really enjoys it and I am always looking for activities to pursue with my children.

Thanks in advance!!!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Keep doing what you're doing, sounds like it's working and he's doing well. One of the hardest thing to teach is how to know when to shift. It ranks right up there with how to work a clutch. You might try to teach him to listen to the motor so he'll know when to upshift. And what it means to lug the motor so he can understand when to downshift.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
one very vivid memory of childhood was riding my honda trail 70, i knew how and when to shift by the sound of the motor, however i had no idea lower gears had more torque. for some reason i hadnt figured that out yet and found a neat hill to climb. my bike would only do it part time.....apparently i was trying in second and third, i dont know for sure but 2nd must be what got me up it. i evidently tried in first gear finally and ended up with an attempt at climbing the fence at the top of said hill!!! :bang: thanks dad for not explaining torque AND for bringing your wire cutters without any questions asked :)

W00TsP0P

Jan 18, 2005
This has worked for my kids.
pick an open area with a slight decline sloap point your kid down hill and let them try.
the down hill method absorbs some of the clutch action and fustration. once they have done this several times try on flat land then up hill.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
the thing that got my kid on when to shift was getting the bike in a large grass field and drag racing his buddies. they quickly learn when to upshift. as far as down shifting, that is a different story. little kids are so light that the bikes will pull them pretty well in a high gear. finding/making a small loop that has an hill that will make him use that lower gear will help as it is a repetitive obstical.

Top Bottom