rooster125

Oct 4, 2006
Let me start by saying in no way am I a pro rider or teacher. I'm actually just getting back into the sport myself. I was wondering if any women out there had suggestions for teaching my girlfriend how to ride. I live in Michigan and the weather still sucks, so were trying to go over basic terms and function type stuff. She did ride very little at the end of last year, just enough to want to start learning to shift. I'll have her (Kate) read this so any advice/encouragement will also be seen by her......... thanks for any help!! I can't wait to have her riding :cool:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Welcome, maybe we can ride sometime this summer. We live in Holland and basically live at Grattan and Big Air all season.

1. Don't yell at her
2. Be Patient
3. Have fun
Repeat steps one through three :)

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Great! Just remember to have lots of patience. My husband taught me to ride 4 years ago. There was many times I was totally exhausted/frustrated on the trail, but he never gave up or appeared frustrated with me. Even though I knew he was. You know those things about each other after 24 years of marriage. Now we have tons of stories to share and look forward to riding with friends and family.

I am also in Michigan about a 1/2 hour North East of grand Rapids. We ride the trails up north about every weekend weather permiting. You are welcome to join us. I have a couple daughters learning to ride as well. So our riding ability varies greatly.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
From a married man's perspective:

When all else fails, you have explained the basics to the best of your abilities, and you are beginning to get frustrated, walk away and let her go. Enjoy your ride, and let her ride without feeling that you are watching her every move, she will likely be more comfortable if she isn't worried about you telling her what she's doing wrong.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Don't forget to give her time in a big open area before heading for the trails or the track. Stay away from sand at first too. And make sure that the lessons are private so she is not self conscious. ( I made this last mistake once, was not sure that Amy was going to ride again)

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Doing tight circles and figure eights helped me with balance and weighting the pegs. Try and encourage her to get in the habit of standing. Elbows out. Start and stop to get her to use and feather the clutch and to get familiar with the brakes. Look ahead, not down.

My husband gave me very little instruction and I learned bad habits that I later had to relearn, so I suppose there is a fine line between too much and too little.

Most women seem to be conservative and cautious (i.e. go waaay slower than you probably want to go) so just accept that and don't make an issue of it. As she improves, so will her speed.

We live near the Tomahawk trails and you sound familiar - are you on TT also?

rooster125

Oct 4, 2006
Quote - We live near the Tomahawk trails and you sound familiar - are you on TT also?

No, Im just now getting back in to riding..... used to ride as a teenager and for some reason when I started to party with friends I lost track of the things I really loved to do :coocoo: So 10 years later here I am about to REALLY get back into it. I would like my girl and I to start riding trail (track eventually too) so if you have suggetions were all ear's!!

All this advice is great - thanks so much, a lot of things I take for granted and would'nt think about explaining to a super newbie. For example: looking ahead not down, good call.

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
MuddyBuddy said:
Doing tight circles and figure eights helped me with balance and weighting the pegs. Try and encourage her to get in the habit of standing. Elbows out. Start and stop to get her to use and feather the clutch and to get familiar with the brakes. Look ahead, not down.

Yup i agree. I'm teaching my girl now also, got her a little pit bike for now. But what MuddyBuddy said is mostly how i have been teaching her. I had her start off my going about 20 feet then stopping like 15 times or so just to get used to the clutch and how it is an important part on stopping and starting. Then moved to figure eights. The only problem that i seem not to be able to break yet is that every time she gets a little loose or maybe gets a small wheelie she as to look at me and not where she is going..
Good luck and have fun..

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
letsride24-7 said:
The only problem that i seem not to be able to break yet is that every time she gets a little loose or maybe gets a small wheelie she as to look at me and not where she is going..
Good luck and have fun..
She might be a little embarassed to be doing it in front of you so she looks to see your expression, or to see if you saw it.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I taught my GF how to ride.

She has a 98 CR80. I rode on the back for a while to make sure she was ok to ride before letting her ride by herself. She does ok. I bought a flywheel weight to tame down the powerband kick of the CR.

She still has a tendency to putt though. I also signed her up for some motorcycle classes so she can get someone else to also teach her. I think the most important thing is to make sure your GF has the proper saftey equipment. And be patient and provide lots of encouragement even if they are driving really slow.

You might want to make sure you GF has the leg strength and the leg length to kick a 125 before putting her on one.

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
I hope I'm not repeating anyone. I learned last year. It was 6 months before I learned why you stick your leg out. My husband and brother just assumed I knew. Well I didn't, I didn't understand how they pivoted like that!
Also teach her hand signals. They are important.

Top Bottom