Jaz808

Feb 19, 2009
I have a 86 Kdx 200 C1 which threw magnets in the flywheel / magneto, i picked up a 2nd magento similar but slighty bigger to the kdx, but couldnt time it right, after reading here i bought a tecate flywheel / magento, its exactly the same size physically, but the timing marks are different to the original one

Has anyone fitted a tecate, do you need to make a new keyway slot, do you need to make new timimg marks

For me lining the keyway with the woodrof key the bike dont start and kicks back, having no woodrof key and setting the keyway roughly 30 degrees to the right/clockwise then bike starts first kick, heaps of power, very snappy but seems to over run when you back off the throttle

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Thanks was always wondering this same thing I don't have my 86 or 84 kdx anymore Glad2ride has them.

what you can try is put the key back in and take the stator plateout and drill new holes and slot them to replicate the 30 degreesyou need for it to run.
then you can tweak it by slightly moving the stator plate. all this considering you have the space to drill the holes and slot them...anyhow thats how the get the 95-06 kdx 200-220 flywheels to fit and work on the 80's kdx's

Jaz808

Feb 19, 2009
After some more playing around made a new keyway slot to the right of the old one, if you hold the old slot at 12o'clock then the new slot is about 1:30, re-timed the bike and all is good

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
WOW! A great story has been posted! Thank you for that information!!

Congratulations on having the umph to get it all done. Great job!

To make sure I have it straight, you are using a Tecate rotor AND a Tecate stator assembly/plate? I understand that the new rotor is mounted at 1:30 compared to the original. Did you mount the Tecate stator in the same direction as stock, or did you have to orient it as well?

Did you cut a new slot in the end of the crankshaft or inside the rotor?

Thank you!

Jaz808

Feb 19, 2009
Just theTecate Flywheel , not the stator, 2 magnets came away from the old flyweel and broke to pieces against the lighting coil of the stator, no damage to the stator, so using old stator

I cut a new keyway in the flywheel not the shaft, i drilled then filed the slot in the flywheel/rotor

I had to go back to the begining, work out where TDC was then 6 degrees and 21 degrees before top dead centre, then got a timing light with taco and checked idle, reved to 6000 rpms, i probably havent got it spot on but if not its so so close

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Thanks for the additional post.

The stator is in the standard position? I understand about the lighting coil being damaged, but the stator coil is still good.

What is important about 6 degrees and 21 degrees?

Thank you!

Jaz808

Feb 19, 2009
The lighting coil wasnt damaged its just were the magnets had jammed, so both the exciter (ignition) and the lighting coils where fine
Adjusting the stator plate adjusts the timing, so i have moved the stator a few mill clockwise
From reading the bike should fire at 6 degrees before top dead centre, then at 6000rpms it should be 21degrees before tdc, so i had to work out where that was and mark timing marks on the flywheel to check with a timimg light if it was right

Last edited:

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
Hey!
I just bought an '85 kdx200 from a friend of mine. He got it for a steal, was not running...
He did the bottom end, checked the top, and ran out of time.
Anyway, he has never seen it run; no spark!
I have been testing all the normal crap, and then I noticed that the flywheel had "auto salvage" labeling on it. It said kxt 250, '85. A little search brought me here!
So, now I know I will need to retime the stator or the "rotor" flywheel, BUT, regardless, I still should have spark, right?! Something else is going on, don't youu think?
The original owners( who I have never met) said they put a new cdi on it, I mayself just installed a brand new stator assembly, coil checks out, grounds are good, stator checks are sat, plug wire had continuity and good seating..........What next? replace cdi or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Jaz808

Feb 19, 2009
Wish we knew if it ran on the klx flywheel, what you can try is pull the flywheel and remove the woodruf key then put the flywheel back slightly before or past the keyway slot where the woodruf key was and keep trying a little more to see if you get a spark, even if the timing is a little out you will get spark the bike will cough and splutter and could even run backwards if you try and start it, but i would not be doing that, just keep for spark, or it could be the cdi, not knowing if it ran that way it is, is a problem

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
Yea, noo kidding! Good news is, there is not much electrical to go through! Bad news is, the darned cdi is a relatively expensive part to just replace on the chance it is bad, but, when you have eliminated everything else.........
I bought a complete electrical system from a 200 off ebay this weekend. The guy listed is as "'pre 94" not alot of help there, but for $20 shipped after the bidding ended, it was worth a shot. I will hook the cdi and col from that setup to my stator, and see if I get spark. The cdi pictured is a plastic boxed one, so it is not a direct match.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
i would have the spark plug out and grounded to verify spark (it kicks alot easier)

I would try to find someone willing to help that has a runner of the same year befor hacking cdi's in

A "steel" on these bikes is $20 if it don't run and $100 if it does...what else is wrong with the bike?
here is a guy who don't know what he has and its cheap 83 kdx 200 flywheel for $39

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983...012QQitemZ220420152775QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
Yea, I take the sparkplug out to check for spark. I might jump on that flywheel!
I would "phone a friend", but all my mcycle buddies around here are 4 strokers; not much help there!
As far as the bike is concerned, mechanically it is in good shape. I bought it from my riding partner, Like I said he but new bearings in the bottom end, and checked the top end. i bought it from him thinking that it just had a spark gremlin to flush out. Neither one of us was aware that it had a replaced flywheel.

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
What do you think the difference would be between an '85 and an '86 cdi would be? There is an '86 on ebay. It would plug in, Probably just timing curves would be a little different.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
i'm not sure about the cdi glad2ride would have the answers on that
I think the models are 83-85 similair and 86-88 similair

I would not worry on the cdi so much as the flywheel

does the klx250 flywheel have 4 magnets?

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
Its the tecate kxl250, and yes, it has 4 magnets; it is just like the one the author of this thread used, and got to work. If I get a correct part for a reasonable price, I will pick it up, but if I have to pay $160 for a flywheel i will just retime my stator.

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
ok so then if you bolt it on take the plug out and ground it and kick you should get some spark..if not continue looking stator.... coil ....cdi.... kill switch

Also if the "author) was able to change the key slot from 12 to 1:30 then you should be able to do the same by removing the stator plate and re drilling the holes so that the old holes instead of being at 3 oclock and 9 oclock are at 2 o clock and 8 o clock

of course with no bolts in them, the bolts being in the new sloted holes you drilled

make sense??

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
or would that be 10 o-clock and 4 oclock I guess it depends on the way Jazz808 was looking at the flywheel

Jazz808 was the flywheel on or off and looking at the magnets when you explained the 12 to 1:30 gig??

we could be on the brink of breaking the code on these!!!!

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
I am not trying to figure out the numbers on stator location right now, but if it comes to it, i will figure it out, I have dialed in timing on enough cars to be confident. I will post pics and measurements on this thread if I do it.!
I emailed jaguar, and he said that there is not much difference between cdi boxes internally over the years. So, I might go with that '86 cdi on ebay, because it plugs in with no issues.

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
Oh, and in my previous posts, i want to clarify, I have a KXT250 flywheel, not a klx.
I Checked for spark with the flywheel bolted on, no dice.
Waiting on my backup wiring harness to show up, with a cdi box and coil. 'Course, it will not be the correct model year for my bike, but should work fine in finding the bad component.
I will start my troubleshooting with the new unit assuming my new OEM stator unit is good, and work from there, swapping out parts until I get the little blue spark.
Chances are good I will not get that '83 flywheel on ebay, at that point I will redrill and slot a spare stator plate I have, and transfer it on to the new plate when I find the sweet spot.
THEN.................POST FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEEEEE!(bwaaaaaahaaaaaaa!)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I would slightly pry and if it comes loose then reepoxy under and all around...if stuck on pretty good then clean all old epoxy and rust from around magnets and then fill behind /infront and beside with new 2 part epoxy (liquid).

from what i have seen when the flywheel is rusty the magnets have rust in behind them so they will most likely come out with little effort. you must note though there is a shoulder stamped into the surface that the magnet must be butted up against.
and would coution to only do one magnet at a time

Top Bottom