ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
Thanks for the tips! Too bad they are stamped, removing them from the tecate flywheel would give me the perfect oportunity to retime via magnets, vs redrilling the stator or a new keyway. I might try it anyways!

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
Well, I got my spare harness yesterday. Research put it at a '89-94 cdi, coil, and wires.
I swapped coils with mine first; nothing. I then figured out how toi hook the cdi up to my stator( uses one less wire than my '85 cdi.) Hooked it up, kicked it over by hand, and I got spark! Was not real big or bright, but I did just kick it by hand, and my stator might put out a different voltage than the '89 up. Have to call around on that. Anyway, confirms my cdi is toast!
I have a line on an '85 cdi, but it would be great if I could use the '89 i have! Might try it, but I need to time my tecate flywheel first, or win that '83 on ebay. We'll see, but I have one problem solved!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
if I remember right the older cdi was metal ..why not try to pry it apart and take a looksy I once repaired a honda trx250x cdi by putting it in the oven at 200 for 1 hr ...it was on of those plastic/epoxy type and it was just pure luck too!!!

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
I will repair it, if possible, and use it a spare. I don't have the time for it right now. I need to do the flywheel, and clean the carb.
Also have a butt ton of stuff to get done before winter! My whole summer is prepping for winter!

Top Bottom