Curt_704

Nov 7, 2001
I don't think I have to many rides left before I wear through
the replaceable sole inserts on my Tech 8 boots. I've talked to a
couple of the guy's I ride with and they really haven't much success replacing thier sole inserts. It sounds like thier sole inserts fell out over time and they recommend replacing the entire sole. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Any recommendations on changing the inserts?

Thanks -

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
I had to replace the whole sole on my Tech-8's. The hassle was finding a shoe repair shop, and having them do it in a time frame. The shoe repair work cost me $30 after I bought the complete sole. But after 2 months now, the glue didn't hold so well that the shoe guy used. But IMO I think it's better to replace the complete sole, rather than just the insert. But after 4 seasons on my Tech-8's and one of those seasons on the complete sole replacement, they're toast. I guess I got my use.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Also good luck trying to find anyone with the sole inserts in stock. :flame: I searched for two solid weeks to find a set(which I have not recieved yet by the way) Depending on how much life you have left in the boots themselves I would just recommend going to a total sole replacement system. IE: Sidi's sole replacement system. The inserts on the Alpinestars work as long as you glue the CRAP out of them, but quite a bit of the wear on my boots is just infront of the insert. As I don't have the money to buy a new pair of boots right now thats what I'm doing, but I'm thinking this winter a new pair of boots will be in order. I've had these for 4yrs. now so I think I got my money's worth as well. :thumb: I just don't neccesarily think the insert idea was designed very well. :ugg:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Curt, I have replaced the sole insert a couple of times now (on two different pairs of boots) and not had a problem. The key, like for most things, is preparation and following instructions. Make sure to clean the surfaces really well and perhaps rough them up with a little emery paper or such. Apply the glue to all surfaces, making sure that edges and front tongue part are well coated (top and bottom of tongue part). Allow it to dry as instructed and put the insert in place. I then placed the boots so that I could put a weight on the insert during the drying process (overnight usually).

They've worked perfect each time. Getting the old ones off is not such a pleasant adventure though. A heat gun really helps there.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
I got 2 years of use out of my Tech8 soles before they wore down and started seperating from boot. I bought the sole replacements from Alpinestar and had them glued and stiched on by a boot repair shop. If I walk a lot on the soles the stiches on threads will wear down, but the shop will re-stich for free.

yam 3

May 19, 2000
Had the same problem sent to the shoe guy www.shoeguy.com and got them repaired with sidi soles. Very good job but pricy at $80. Look better than new though.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by Yogurt
I had to replace the whole sole on my Tech-8's. The hassle was finding a shoe repair shop, and having them do it in a time frame. The shoe repair work cost me $30 after I bought the complete sole. But after 2 months now, the glue didn't hold so well that the shoe guy used. But IMO I think it's better to replace the complete sole, rather than just the insert. But after 4 seasons on my Tech-8's and one of those seasons on the complete sole replacement, they're toast. I guess I got my use.

Welcome back Yogurt :) Been a while since I have seen you around

Top Bottom