adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Yet another boot question, I've spent some time searching this and other forums, and haven't found what I am looking for.

What I want is a good boot that doesn't kill you if you are hiking around. These last weekends I've been lending a hand marking trail for a hare scramble. This entialed short spurts of riding a good amount of walking (and pounding stakes, and sweating). The more I thought about it the more I realized that my regular trail rides often lead to a waterfall or something that I walk to get to.

Past boots
  • Oneal - something from the mid 90's. Didn't use them too much, as they were during growing times. I think they fit for 6 months.
  • Gaerne - what ever their cheapest model in the 90's was. Really likes them, but they fell apart after many years of use (and were purple :coocoo: )
  • Fox Trackers - hated them, uncomfortable, and destroyed the soles in 8 months of little riding. Actually broke the shank in the sole on one boot. Counldn't figure out why my arch was HURTING that day, till I took off the boot and could fold it in half.

Current boots
  • ARC MXV200 - Ok boot. Sick of the ankle hinge bolts falling out (all have been replaced and Lock Tited, still lose one every few rides). I've also destroyed the soles, and the replaceable insert is no longer availible. :(

I've been looking at Sidi, Alpinestar, and Gaerne's. I'm done going cheap, although I still can't spend too much. I'm putting the limit around $300, and I am willing to wait for a sale. I should add, I have pretty narrow feet. Size 11-12, but skinny.

So, what do you suggest for a quality boot that you can wear comfortably all day long?

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
Im going to have to say if you want a good boot that you can also walk in, get something hinged like the Gaernes or the Sidis.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Tech 6. I walked all day with Mully laying out the Harescramble/Poker run at DW one year and I was fine at the end of the day. Tired, from the weight of the boots and gear, but my feet were good.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
CHR!S said:
Im going to have to say if you want a good boot that you can also walk in, get something hinged like the Gaernes or the Sidis.

x2

I have the SG10 and they are quite comfortable when walking around for a 'real' boot. One of my buddies has the hinged Sidis and he swears by them.

If you are going to be pounding stakes and not really doing much riding, you could wear a pair of hiking boots that day. Not fashionable or very protective, but would work for the day.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I have Sidi Crossfire SRS boots and they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn - more comfortable than my street boots even. I could easily wear them all day on and off the bike and wouldn't ever notice them. They are the first boots I've had that I don't notice when riding at all as well - it' like they aren't even there except when you need them. They were comfortable right out of the box too - I wore them on a weekend trip where I rode for 3 days when I first got them and had no problems. The sole is easily replaceable too (bolt on). The one caveat I would have is that the sole isn't very aggressive for walking around in slimy conditions (climbing a muddy hill, etc).

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Thanks guys. Keep the opinions coming.

I thought about just throwing on hiking boots, but I know what would happen then.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I would go with a combat before a hiking boot, they usually extend a little farther up the ankle. Of course, they do not offer enough support for MX. For trail riding, it would be a little maybe. You might also take a look at "quad" boots, they look like they have a little better traction for walking than moto boots.

Top Bottom