Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
For the most part, I hate it when the phone rings and it's another person trying to sell [insert virtually anything]. Well, sometimes it literally pays to sit and listen to their BS. There is a land company north of Austin that gives away things just for you to come in and listen to their sales pitches. I orginally got a call from them about a year ago, and agreed that I'd come out and listen to their promos. For doing so, I got a 19 in. TV. Granted it's not like I got a brand new car or anything, but I thought it was pretty darn good for only having to tell someone NO I don't want to buy your land. :) Now, fastforward to one week ago. I got another call from the same company asking if I'd like to come out and take a look at their acreage for sale. I mentioned that I had already been there, and recieved a new TV as a gift for coming out. The woman on the phone told me that they opened a new section of land and that they knew I had been out there once before. I am pretty sure they were figuring that I was one of those few who would actually take the time to listen to their speeches. She also mentioned that for coming out there I would recieve 20 bucks for gas, and a $100 gift card to the store of my choice. So I said sure. I already knew that their prizes were legit. Sure enough, I went yesterday and spent about 30 min. talking to their finance manager. He asked me if I was interested in buying and I politely told him that now was not the time for me. He told me he wouldn't waste anymore of my time and told me to see the receptionist for my prizes. :thumb: It ends up that they were all out of gift cards, so the woman hit the safe and pulled out $120 in cash. IMO, it was a fair price and all we had to do was go for a little drive out to the country to get it. :)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
back in my early days of marriage we made it a habit of going on these sales pitches. As soon as we got to meet the salesman we would let him know he would be wasting his time with us since as newlyweds our finances wouldn't allow the purchase. More then half would thank us and send us on our way with the promotional gift- the others would make us stay.
In this time we got 4 AC/DC 6" tvs, one coffee pot, one set of cookware (still in the camper), several nights lodging at their resorts, and a couple toaster ovens. There were also a couple others that gave cash (usually in the $20 to 30 range) and gas certificates.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
Hmm, Cal...would that be targetted direct marketing? Are your neighbors getting referral fees?

Nah, we're too far away from our nearest neighbor.  My family does have a reputation though.  I don't have an uncle Pooter, fur nuthin! :flame:

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
No offense guys, but its people like you (who respond to these calls) that encourage them to call people like me! I don't care if a person is selling 24 karat gold for $1.25 per ounce, if he is trying to sell it to me at my front door or on my phone, the answer is NO!

I hate telemarketers and door to door salesmen. I think we should have a law prohibiting them.

Jimbo

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by Jimbokdx

I hate telemarketers and door to door salesmen. I think we should have a law prohibiting them.

Jimbo

tell the telemarketeers to put you on the do not call list. Here is something you should look into also , I heard something about If you ask them to not call you again and you actually keep a journal of who and when you said it to. If that company calls you back before the expiration time they get charged a fine and you get a portion of it.
I don't know if the fine is an urban myth or not . Once a local newspaper whom I asked to be placed on the list called and I informed the telemarketer about it . They became very apologetic and I never did recieve another call from them.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
WHat i do is tell them i need too get the other phone, cordless is low and set the phone down and go about my business :laugh:

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
jmics,

I understand how to deal with them... I just don't think I should HAVE to deal with them. I am bitter. I hate telemarketers.

Jimbo

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
RIIIIIING, RIIIIIIIING....
Hello.
"Is this the Patman residence?"
"Is that what you intended to call?"
"Mr. Patman this is (insert annoying phone sales name) calling about (our product/service you have no interest in)."
"We're about to sit down for dinner."
"Oh, I'm sorry sir when would be a better time to call back?"
"Well I'm not sure, what time do you eat dinner?"
........"Excuse me sir?"
"Why don't you give ME your home phone number and I'll call you back when I've got time. Mow it might be about 2am or so but I'm sure your anxious to tell me all about your product/service so that would be OK right?."
"Thank you for your time Mr. Patman. CLICK

OR

RIIIIIING, RIIIIIING....
Hello.
"Is this the Patman residence?"
"Is that what you intended to call?"
"Could I speak to Mrs. Patman or the lady of the residence please?"
"Sure, hold on."
(set phone down)
Almost every time after about 5 minutes they're gone :think:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Dave has a great response he uses whenever he answers the phone and someone tries to sell him something.

"We're sorry, this residence does not respond to phone solicitations of any type, and we ask that you remove our number from your calling lists.  Thank you, Goodbye".

It works, too.  At least for him.  I have a tough time being that out-and-out rude to someone who calls.  They're only trying to make money at a job.  (And probably know how much everyone hates them!)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I guess I fail to see how telemarketing is affective.  I have never and will never buy something because someone calls me on the phone offering a product or service.  Are there really that many people that make purchases that way?  My cousin started a job a few weeks ago as a telemarketer and started out @ $9.25 per hour.  That's not bad for a 16 year old.

Top Bottom