dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I just got back from a ride and I am puzzled. I did the jetting on my bike a couple of months ago. I made the jetting changes when the weather was around 55-60 degrees outside. I avoided rainy days so humidity wouldnt be a factor. I made sure I rode the bike for 20 minutes or so before checking the plug. I got the jetting very close, I stayed a tad on the rich side just to be safe, 42 pilot, 155 main, air screw 2 turns. Now that the weather is getting warmer here in Arizona I thought I was going to have to lean the jetting some, wrong! My bike is running much better than it did before, smoking less, nice and crisp and reponsive. Do the water cooled KDX's have a thermostat? I am thinking that my air cooled Xer never got up to temperature when jetting. My cylinder, case, pipe never get hot when riding here in the winter. What do you guys think? Any similar experiences?

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Hey! Someone has to have a thought on this! Do the water cooled KDX's have a thermostat? Are your engine cases and pipe very warm or hot to the touch on a 80+ degree day? Any feedback will be appreciated.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
No thermostat, maybe you have an air bubble stuck in the system? If its running better now that it warmer it might suggest that your jetting was leaner than you might have thought. Here on the coast its never above 65 but my jug, pipe and radiators get hot to the touch. You sure you don't have a 89? I thought 88's were a aircooled bike.

-Maurice

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
On a hot day, 90+, my cylinder will reach 217 degrees F. This is a '99 liquid cooled KDX220. The 220's run a little hotter than the 200's. I use an infrared thermometer to check the temp. just behind the KIPS chamber.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Thanks for the input. My bike is an air cooled 88. I just wondered if the water cooled bikes had a thermostat to get them to operating temp faster.
Jetting was almost dead on. I left it a bit rich just in case. The plug chops showed an almost perfect tan color at the base. Very little spooge. I will get a thermometer and check exaust and cylinder temps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom