Thanks for the advice, 200exc now mine

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I just brought home a '99 200exc. Thanks for everyone's bits of advice on which KTM to buy! I love this bike. It has incredible power for a 200. (not like the KDX I test rode). This bike feels like you can flick it around and still have the torque to pull a stump. (maybe a small one). Anyone out there with a 200exc that has some advice for got to have add ons? I haven't had this in the woods yet, but cant wait for Sunday. You guys sold me on KTM's after reading these forums, (this is my first punkin) and I am as giddy as a school girl. Thanks again everyone and I will give you an update after the first trip to the woods.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Congrats on the bike, I bet that's exciting. How is it equipped as it is? I ride an 01, and aside from upside-down forks, am not sure of the other differences.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
firecracker22,

I don't think there were too many differences between these bikes. The guy I bought it from put on all black plastic and took off the headlight and wiring. I wish he had left it stock, but I can relplace it later I guess. He put on a carbon fiber pipe guard and had the suspension reworked for his size, which is the same as I am (200lbs.). I cant believe how much power it has for a 200. Have you ridden yours much in tight woods? I am wondering how you like the power delivery in the woods?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Woods are mostly what i ride, though in winter it's desert hills, occasionally sand dunes and now and then I abuse myself on the MX track. I'm a hair lighter than you ;) and have had my suspension reworked, which made tons of difference. It took me a bit to get used to when it was new, since I'd had an XR before that, but I love it now. You couldn't trade me for any other bike, two or four stroke, and even a brand new 200 I'd hesitate at since i've got a bit of $ into mine.

at any rate I'm pretty much a spode but I can at least keep the back of the pack in sight and the sweep rider from running me over. The power is beautiful and I love it. I like 125s on the track or in flat woods, and they're fun for a while, but mine's better.

3SuperSports

Jan 13, 2004
Congrats on the KTM. I just bought the same bike ('99 200 EXC) a few weeks ago and am hoping to get it out for the first time this weekend.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…