Stumpjumper

Jan 15, 2000
For some reason, I am unable to post on Forward Motion Forum but hopefully you'll be able to see this here. I just wanted to say thanks for the valve work recently done by you Rich on my XR 250. Everything looked great and price was very reasonable. After seeing the old valves, I could certainly see why they needed replaced. I highly recomend Forward Motion to anyone needing quality work for an exceptional price. Thanks again. W.Clouse :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks for the kind words StumpJumper. The trusty old XR should provide you with lots more great miles of fun.

Would you mind posting the grind info (maker, grind number etc.) on the aftermarket cam you had in it? I want to do some additional research on it with Mike Perry from Kibblewhite. Thanks. :thumb:

Last edited:

Stumpjumper

Jan 15, 2000
The cam is from Hot Cams and their basic model for the 96-03 XR 250. I think I'll go back to the stock cam if it will allow me to run the better quality springs and in talking to Eric, he indicated that may have been the reason for the valve wear. I only had about 100 miles on the Hot Cam before I tore the bike down for the valve work. I use the bike mainly on the lowend to midrange and don't feel the performance enhancement of the cam from midrange to topend is really what I need. I would prefer to have the longevity out of the motor. Thanks again for your work.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Stumpjumper said:
The cam is from Hot Cams and their basic model for the 96-03 XR 250. I think I'll go back to the stock cam if it will allow me to run the better quality springs and in talking to Eric, he indicated that may have been the reason for the valve wear.

Thanks for the info. :thumb:

If you want to send the head back in sometime soon we'll set it back up with the Kibblewhite springs and retainers for you. We'll pick up the labor and the shipping cost back to you, all you have to pick up is the cost of the spring kit.

Stumpjumper

Jan 15, 2000
Thanks Rich for the generous offer. I went ahead and ordered the valve springs and they should be here within the week. Hopefully it is just a matter of replacing the stock springs since I'm going back the factory cam? Or do I have to be concerned about installed height etc.? Thanks again for the offer. I'm ready to get this project done.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Stumpjumper said:
Thanks Rich for the generous offer. I went ahead and ordered the valve springs and they should be here within the week. Hopefully it is just a matter of replacing the stock springs since I'm going back the factory cam? Or do I have to be concerned about installed height etc.? Thanks again for the offer. I'm ready to get this project done.

Make sure and check the installed height matches the spec on the Kibblewhite install sheet. If you need shims to bring up bottom retainer to get the correct height let us know and I'll get some out to you.

Top Bottom