D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
As some of you may remember, I have been having my 1997 RM125 rebuilt. New crankshaft, new top end, etc.

Well, I talked to the mechanic last night. He said he was done with the engine and was putting it back together. When he got to putting the transmission back, he found a washer in the midst of it that was all chewed up. Uh oh.

He said he didn't see any damage, but he's giving it to a friend who specializes in transmissions to see if there is anything wrong. The washer obviously had to be in there before when the bike was actually running to get chewed up, which makes me thing that might have been causing the clutch slips and sometimes unable to get the bike in neutral.

If the washer did cause damage, what would i be looking at for new parts? A new clutch kit/clutch basket? I'm not familiar with transmissions, so I don't really know the parts of it or what I would need.

If I do have to replace the clutch, and seeing as I am mostly going to be riding trails, should I get a rekluse clutch?

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Actually, the trannys are pretty stout. Most everything is hardened steel. Other than the basket, hub, and friction plates of the clutch. Pressure plate is aluminum too. Some bikes SUCK to get into nuetral, so Im just throwing that out there. But it definatly could have made it hard to shift into certain gears or something as they use washers to space things in the transmission right. Id bet that someone tore it down a while ago, rebuilt it, and somehow the washer ended up lose in there. Then it got reassembled with it in there.

I would doubt that it would scrw up the actual clutch, but if it did, your looking at roughly:

$40 Inner Hub
$180 Basket
$70 Plates
$12 Springs

But I couldnt see that tearing the whole clutch apart honestly ...

Top Bottom