Apr 1, 2007
I'm thinking of buying a 2007 CRF250X (brand new not a used modle) but my only worry is how high maitenence this bike is. I understand I'll have to change the oils often, and watch the fluid levels (coolant and oil). But am I going to have to be replacing pistons and rings often? I'm not going to be riding it hard, just trails and I'm only 15 so no racing. Not even track riding just trails. So my question is what kind of maitenence will I be doing and how often?

Also my friend wants to get a used 2002 WR 250 hes getting it for 2500$ is that a good deal for him?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Maintenance is key on any performance oriented bike. Oil changes and air filter cleanings should be performed often on any bike. Coolant loss is really only an issue when running the bike hard at low speed, say a tight 1st gear trail, where you have low air flow over the radiators. Even then, just make sure it's full at the beginning of your ride and it should be fine. I've never lost more than a half inch below the neck in my radiator. As long as you watch the valves pretty close in the first ten or so hours, you should be able to go a while between inspections. I have heard the springs need to be changed on a regular basis to prevent seat damage, but I don't remember how often. Rich could probly tell you that.I have a little over 20 hours on mine and the valves are still in spec. I checked them every 3 hours for the first ten and just checked 'em after the last ride. I would think with easy riding you should be able to get a good long service life out of the top end. I've heard of people getting close to 200 hours out of a crf250. Obviously that bike was very well maintained and not ridden really hard. I plan on going to Kibblewhite SS valvetrain and a high-comp Wiseco at about 60-80 hours. I see Eric does complete head setups for very competive prices ;) .I am interested to see how the stock parts look.
Anyway, sorry about the long post. I wouldn't let the maintenance scare you. Go for it! :cool:

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The owners service manual is great. Make sure they don't forget to give it to you when you pick up the bike.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
_JOE_ said:
The owners service manual is great. Make sure they don't forget to give it to you when you pick up the bike.

get the additional shop manual too. costs a few $ but has much more detailed info in it.

Top Bottom