XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Got a call Saturday from my mom asking if my crew would like to do the poker run up in Elk River the next day.  After some discussion with momma about it, we decided to go.  I managed to get all the rolling stock (my XR, the kid's TTR90 and the big ol Polaris 500) on the trailer.  Momma and my Li'l Buttercup were going to buddy up on the quad whilst Pred2 and myself were gonna dirt bike it with Grampa on his YZ400.  Also along for the ride were Gramma on the 660 Grizzly, Great Gramma and Grampa on their 500 Sportsman, and another couple on a Bayou 300.  Just a few random thoughts:
  • quad do dirt bike ratio was approx 30:1.  There were about 300 entries, you do the math
  • some warning as to when the checkpoints were going to show up would have been nice:  some dude came in hot on a Warrior and went off the road, then pole-vaulted when a downed tree caught him in the front!
  • 14" front and 12" rear tires don't handle rocks all that well.  Pred2 went down 3 times, one of 'em pretty hard.  But he toughed it out and finished the last half with a pretty sore arm
  • overheating and losing your back break on a long downhill is a tad unsettling.  First gear and the kill button saved me though
  • Keeping track of an 8-year old during a nice little poker run is far more difficult than racing
  • 42 miles may be a tad long trail ride for an 8 year old as well
  • Poker Runs ain't conducive to an XR400 and a YZ400.  It was pretty much 1st and 2nd gear all the way around.  Shoulda switched to the smaller front sprocket for the day

Now some real complaints:
  • it was very dusty, and following a quad is a bad omen -- some goobers think you gotta ride side by side!
  • the idiot fringe doesn't know how to wait to pass a kid who's a tad hesitant going down the steep hills.  There were some close calls, and it wouldn't have hurt my feelings to pummel a few
  • Card Draw #3 -- The "Hospitality Room"!  Free hooch (not just beer, but whiskey and vodka!)  Talk about opening yourself up to a lawsuit!
  • quadbilly gear -- saw many riders in shorts and sandals
  • Beer on the trail.  Y'know, I like my barley pop as much as the next guy, but why can't you hold off 'til you get back to the rig?
  • Why do these doofs gotta do donuts in the parking lot is beyond me

Even with all the complaints, and probably 2/3 of the mileage dust-choked trails and roads, a good time was had by all.  Even Momma enjoyed herself, but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get her off of 4 wheels onto 2.  That's okay, when Buttercup moves onto her own bike, Momma can haul the gas :)

Last edited:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I saw it was like 101 up around you yesterday Whew!

Sounds like you had fun, despite some of the idjit riders.

And people wonder why I have Line Of Sight Anti Quad rockets on my bikes handlebars :p

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by XRpredator
Momma and my Li'l Buttercup were going to buddy up on the quad whilst Pred2 and myself were gonna dirt bike it with Grampa on his YZ400.  Also along for the ride were Gramma on the 660 Grizzly, Great Gramma and Grampa on their 500 Sportsman,

Wow! Pred.

Sounds like you had the whole famdamly there. ;) How cool. :thumb:

9r

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Update, Pred2 has a "bent bone" in his arm, as in not really broke, but bad enough that Momma gave me a dirty look for not having as much sympathy for him as I could have and making him ride out the last 20 miles. :whiner: I guess the little bugger is tougher than I thought! Full report from the radiologist tomorrow . . . Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
i went on a poker run with my old 82 yz125, wow that sucked bad, 320 entries, about 20 dirtbikes...
the poker run your talking about seems EXACTLY like the one i went to. tons of guys with shoes and shorts, i constantly saw quads with whole coolers on them! any time i would fall in 2ft deep puddles they would continue to ride totally disreguarding that i was trying to get my bike out of the mud, and i mean they were driving past me so close almost everyone hit me.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Mr. L said
Big ole meanie
funny you should mention that -- another update: Pred2 has what's called a "buckle fracture". He's gotta wear a cast for a while. I just hope there's no permanent damage.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Sorry to hear about your son. Now he can tell all his friends he finished the last 20 miles of a race with a broken arm.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
He'll bounce back, I'm sure he's a tough kid. They're all made of rubber anyway!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Sorry to hear about you Pred2's injury XRP, but don't be hard on yourself. My son's friend managed to break his collarbone at our house a couple weeks ago and he was just riding an old push scooter down the driveway.

Kid's get hurt & they heal up. It's tough to see your own kid go through it, I've been there too and it makes you worry a ton but they usually come out just fine. Like RMJeff said he has braggin rights now!

We went for a ride last summer with a couple quads - talk about a dustbowl!! I will never follow a quad again!

Top Bottom