The engine i am Designing for PTC student competion

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
hey guys, my preengineer teacher entered our class in the competion for who could come up with the best innovative product... this is my entry so far..

nothing in the rendering is new or exciting... that comes later when i design the head... me thinks you'll like.:applause:

I got to get the rest of the motor down by friday:censored: :excuseme:

O, and i have been using this program for like 2 months and am only 16 so dont be to harsh if you are like an actual engineer or something. I came up with these plans on my own and build it on the program my own.

let me know what you think

it is obviously not done... but i will post more as the process goes on

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
ProE kicks SolidWorks ass! This is espeically true when you get ProMechanica involved.

We always made a game out of trying to complete an entire part in one extrude/revolve/whatever, some parts were quite complex.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Interesting. Pro/E isn't much better than Solidworks, and is worse in some cases. I haven't played with Cosmos (Solidworks' FEA program) or Algor (another solidworks FEA program) but I've heard good things. Personally, I find Pro/E is cumbersome for a lot of simple things, and only shines on extremely complex parts.

As for your project, it looks pretty cool. One thing to watch out for is sharp corners and sudden changes in the cross-section of parts (like your crank) as these cause stress concentrations which can result in failure of the part.

Also, why are you using two bolts on each side (4 total) for clamping the connecting rod?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
SpeedyManiac said:
As for your project, it looks pretty cool. One thing to watch out for is sharp corners and sudden changes in the cross-section of parts (like your crank) as these cause stress concentrations which can result in failure of the part.

Also, why are you using two bolts on each side (4 total) for clamping the connecting rod?

If you really want to get specific, your crankshaft webs are too thick. You need to build in some flexibility in order to reduce main bearing loads. But, that's beside the point.

Also, I've seen a many engines with 4 bolts holding the connecting rod together. They're just big engines (in the 9 inch bore x 14 inch stroke range). Maybe this is a really big engine?

On a straight 6, cylinders 1 and 6, 2 and 5, and 3 and 4 are always firing pairs. That means both pistons in the pair will be at the top of the cylinder at the same time, but be 360 degrees out of phase as in one will be firing while the other is between the exhaust and intake stroke (360 degrees out of phase).

The firing order of an inline 6 is always 1-5-3-6-2-4. To help you remember, that's too young (15), too old (36), just right (24).

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Not bad for 2 months on ProE. It's a tough system to learn all that it can do so stick with it. There's a good market out there for engineers that can use it proficiently. I have used and taught a lot of CAD systems over the years and none of them do everything but I have found that ProE does a lot of things well. We use it for large assemblies and I had to develop methods specific to our company in order for it to work like we need.

Email me if you want any help.

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
SpeedyManiac said:
Interesting. Pro/E isn't much better than Solidworks, and is worse in some cases. I haven't played with Cosmos (Solidworks' FEA program) or Algor (another solidworks FEA program) but I've heard good things. Personally, I find Pro/E is cumbersome for a lot of simple things, and only shines on extremely complex parts.

ok cool... that two bolt idea was taken from a big block out in the garage...

on the edge you are saying to clean them up by rounding... can do... i will see how it goes.

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
o, and in all reality this thing doesnt need to be perfect...

the whole idea of the competion is to see who has to most inovative idea... (not yet assembled as you can see)

The point is to get your idea across... looking good, let alone working out the box is beside the point. It will never get build

Keep on the ideas though... i didnt know there was so much CAD expierance on here.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
What is that?

And nice engine. I had about a week on TurboCAD V10 Deluxe And that program couldent do ALOT of things. Couldent fellet(sp? aka round) 3d edges. And you couldent really put hols in stuff or make pipes. So i quit with it, got Tutbo CAD V12 Professional trial and used it up, didnt make anything special. I needed more time to learn it...

And next year i will be aking a class for it.

And good luck with your engine.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
To me it looks like instead of valves, you're planning on using a rotating shaft with matching ports cut in it to time and deliver the fuel charge. Am I close?

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
SpeedyManiac said:
To me it looks like instead of valves, you're planning on using a rotating shaft with matching ports cut in it to time and deliver the fuel charge. Am I close?
ding ding ding... .we have a winner.

Im sure it has been done before... that plans say i need to just improve upon.

Can anyone find an actual example where this was used???

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
loudandproud said:
Can anyone find an actual example where this was used???

Cross rotary valve engines used this type of setup back around 1930.

Ted Mellors had a similar design that he patented around 1945 (smaller pic to the right) .

Attachments

• cross1b.jpg
    cross1b.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 59
  • mellors2a.gif
    mellors2a.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 64

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom