rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
I'm glad I don't fit in the catagory of the dumb a$$ teen. I'm 17 and I think the only damaging effect ive had with my neighbors is that I think they don't like my drving in a car. I ride right way away from neighbor hoods and am very respectful of other riders, houses, cars , ect. Any other teens that can relate to me? :rotfl:

Nov 28, 2006
Ol'89r said:
You are correct, it is necessary to turn these guys around to save our sport. But, guys like that won't listen to older people. They cop an attitude and do just the opposite. It is up to you and the younger riders to police your own. When they hear it from their peers they are more likely to listen. If you have friends that act like jerks, tell them you don't want to ride with them. Exclude them from your group until they see the light. If you don't have the nerve to stand up to them and tell them what their actions are doing to the sport then, we will eventually lose our sport.

Like I said earlier in this thread, when we put our riding gear on, we all look the same. The non-riding public doesn't know if we are young riders or older riders and doesn't really care. The prejudice comes from them not folks like me. If you don't want the prejudice then police your own. When I put my riding gear on, I share that prejudice just like you. And I don't like it either.

Yes I definitely agree about policing our own. I think that's something that everybody can learn from, not just teenagers, but obviously its a huge deal for us.

However its also true that once we put on those uniforms, we all appear the same. Dirt bikers. And as members of this group, we all as dirt bikers we have to "police our own" as well. Kind of like being good citizens. So we shouldnt be alienating teens within the dirt biking community. I liked what Sharn said...

Sharn said:
it's usually a matter of influence... I think the reason most kids don't learn this and how to respect other people is they don't ride with adults. ...They need a fatherly figure to teach them how not to behave.

We need to be able to accept that not everyone has had the same teaching and understands the rules as well as those of us who are respectful do. And I believe that if we are patient and teach them, they will learn to change their ways.

:cool: 89er i agree with you

I just think we need to be able to be patient with disrespectful people and help them change their ways :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I can really relate to 89'r. Being a property owner and off road enthusiast, I was pleased to get a new neighbor that rides, even though it was a quad. Until recently, I used my fuel, tractor, and time to maintain our poor excuse of a road. In July, the neighbor had a relative come over, literally the day after I worked the road and began doing donuts and raising hell, right in front of my house. Like 89'r, we have horses and my wife was down in the corral working with one of the horses. She had to stop because of the noise and the dust coming from the road. I had just showered and dressed for a meeting and as I exited the house, my wife was heading down the drive way to confront this jerk. Needless to say, some heated words were given by me. The SOB even denied it, while he was sitting on the quad. I didn't wait for someone to call the cops, I did it myself.
To many people refuse to consider anyone elses rights. They feel that freedom allows this pretentious attitude. Be active in correcting this problem and do it safely and responsibly. No area of the USA is immune. I respect others equipment and will help anyone that I can but I will do what ever it takes to stop dilweeds from ending my ability to pursue this sport legally. Some people really do deserve to have there equipment confiscated. Do the right thing when you ride, ride legally, and respect land owners and neighbors.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
pidro_el_pirata said:
Kind of like being good citizens. So we shouldnt be alienating teens within the dirt biking community. I liked what Sharn said...

We need to be able to accept that not everyone has had the same teaching and understands the rules as well as those of us who are respectful do. And I believe that if we are patient and teach them, they will learn to change their ways.

:cool: 89er i agree with you

I just think we need to be able to be patient with disrespectful people and help them change their ways :)

pidro_el_pirata.

If you go back to my first post in this thread you will see that I tried that route. When they first moved in, I went and introduced myself and offered to take them riding and show them the trails. They laughed at me. They looked down at me like I was some old fool that didn't know anything about motorcycles or riding.

When they started to ride all over everyone's property and the neighbors started to complain, I went over and talked to them and asked them to please not do that. Again, I offered to take them riding and show them the places they could ride without bothering the neighbors. I did this several times. They laughed.

When they endangered my wife's safety by riding around my barn, I finally got pizzed. Up until that time I was going out of my way to be a good neighbor and welcome them to the neighborhood. But now, the deal's off.

Some people need to be alienated from our sport. Those that are doing damage to our sport by acting like jerks and don't really care about what their actions are doing to the rest of us. We would all be better off if they just went away. People like this are not worth our time.

The day before Thanksgiving I spent several hours on my Bobcat tractor grading the gravel driveway leading to mine and his property. We were having family over for Thanksgiving dinner the next day and I was cleaning the place up. About an hour after I was done with the driveway, the neighbor kid got his quad out and spun doughnuts all over the drive. I'm not sure if he is an arrogant jerk or just incredibly stupid. What I do know is every time he does something like this it lessens his chances of ever seeing the good trails.

I think I have been as patient as anyone could possibly be expected to be and now, I'm the one doing the laughing.

YZmidLife

Nov 23, 2006
I have to agree with Ol'89r. Sounds like the kid finally realized where he might get his bikes fixed for free. If that's what he's after, I'm sure there's some nice heavy manual labor to be done around your property in exchange, before the bike repairs start. By the description of how this kid acts, it might be good head-start for his future career on the chain gang. :laugh: Do they still have those? God I wish that was mandatory (for his parents, too)!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Let me tell you about another neighborhood kid.

When we first built our house and moved in, my wife and one of her friends were riding their horses up the road. A couple of dirt bikes riders came up behind them and not only didn't slow down but sped up and roosted the girls as they went by. My wife's horse was ok but the other horse reared up and almost tossed it's rider.

When they got back to the house they were pretty upset. I called one of the neighbor ladys and asked her if she knew who those riders might be. When I described their riding gear and bikes she said, "That sounds like my son." Ten minutes later she showed up with her son in tow. She made him apologize to the girls and then said, " What should we make him do for his punishment?" Mow your lawn? Shovel horse poop? Whatever. My wife suggested we put him up on her 17+ hand Thououghbred and I would get on my motorcycle and ride up behind him like he did to the girls. The kid got big tears in his eyes and said, "NO, Please, I'll do anything but that!" :yikes:

We never made him do anything for punishment but, the thought of getting on that horse made him think about what his actions could have caused. He has grown up now and has become one of my friends and riding buddys. He now has three boys of his own and they all ride and are very respectful of the neighbors. The big difference between this neighbor kid and the other neighbor kid is the parents. The mother didn't try to protect or make excuses for her son, she marched his butt up here and said what can we do so this doesn't happen again. Problem solved. :cool:

For those of you that suggested I go out of my way to try to deal with this other kid, that's not my job. That's the job of the parents and they have failed. I have many riding buddys that live in the neighborhood and finding someone to ride with is not a problem. I have neither the time or patience to deal with someone like him. My whole point of starting this thread was to point out what he has been missing due to his attitude and actions. He could have been a part of the group. He could have been shown all of the good trails but instead he rides up and down his driveway all by himself. I guess he really showed us. :rotfl:

J-man

May 16, 2007
well i am definetaly not like that when i see cars or other riders i slow down and don't bother them. So not all of us teens are that bad.

Nov 28, 2006
Ol'89r said:
Let me tell you about another neighborhood kid.

When we first built our house and moved in, my wife and one of her friends were riding their horses up the road. A couple of dirt bikes riders came up behind them and not only didn't slow down but sped up and roosted the girls as they went by. My wife's horse was ok but the other horse reared up and almost tossed it's rider.

When they got back to the house they were pretty upset. I called one of the neighbor ladys and asked her if she knew who those riders might be. When I described their riding gear and bikes she said, "That sounds like my son." Ten minutes later she showed up with her son in tow. She made him apologize to the girls and then said, " What should we make him do for his punishment?" Mow your lawn? Shovel horse poop? Whatever. My wife suggested we put him up on her 17+ hand Thououghbred and I would get on my motorcycle and ride up behind him like he did to the girls. The kid got big tears in his eyes and said, "NO, Please, I'll do anything but that!" :yikes:

We never made him do anything for punishment but, the thought of getting on that horse made him think about what his actions could have caused. He has grown up now and has become one of my friends and riding buddys. He now has three boys of his own and they all ride and are very respectful of the neighbors. The big difference between this neighbor kid and the other neighbor kid is the parents. The mother didn't try to protect or make excuses for her son, she marched his butt up here and said what can we do so this doesn't happen again. Problem solved. :cool:

For those of you that suggested I go out of my way to try to deal with this other kid, that's not my job. That's the job of the parents and they have failed. I have many riding buddys that live in the neighborhood and finding someone to ride with is not a problem. I have neither the time or patience to deal with someone like him. My whole point of starting this thread was to point out what he has been missing due to his attitude and actions. He could have been a part of the group. He could have been shown all of the good trails but instead he rides up and down his driveway all by himself. I guess he really showed us. :rotfl:

That mom did the right thing, thats the way it should be done :cool:

I guess I didn't quite see your point at first, now i understand. You're right 89er. And thanks for the good discussion :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
J-man said:
well i am definetaly not like that when i see cars or other riders i slow down and don't bother them. So not all of us teens are that bad.
yes you are.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
yes. Not quite a teenager

He's annoying too, but at least I've pretty much got him trained.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
J-man said:
well beleive it or not some of us are not bad

I don't believe it. :whoa:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Trust me, teenager type fellows, Rich and I know that you are all bad.

We were teenagers once too (Rich was in Fred Flintstone's class). We were bad too. It's the nature of the beast. Some just aren't quite as bad as others, but all are still a PITA.

That's the way it is, that's the way it always will be.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
XRpredator said:
Trust me, teenager type fellows, Rich and I know that you are all bad.

We were teenagers once too (Rich was in Fred Flintstone's class). We were bad too. It's the nature of the beast. Some just aren't quite as bad as others, but all are still a PITA.

That's the way it is, that's the way it always will be.

Close, some of them are just better at hiding it than others. ;)

riot983

Feb 12, 2008
the people on my block are horrible. I cleaned my bike for 3 hours when i first got it. took it out to go up and down the street. I of course kept the rpm's low because i gotta live next to these people. the second time i went down the street one of my neighbors stopped me and told me to walk it home. I did, even though it was uphill i respectfully did. And they still told my parents. My parents told me i could but just keep the rpm's low. which i was. who is in the right?

May 10, 2007
riot983 said:
the people on my block are horrible. I cleaned my bike for 3 hours when i first got it. took it out to go up and down the street. I of course kept the rpm's low because i gotta live next to these people. the second time i went down the street one of my neighbors stopped me and told me to walk it home. I did, even though it was uphill i respectfully did. And they still told my parents. My parents told me i could but just keep the rpm's low. which i was. who is in the right?

the guy who told you to walk it. it is technically illegal for you to ride it on the road unless it is street legal and you have a license

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
riot983 said:

The neighbor.. Just because your parents said it'd be ok, doesn't mean everyone else has to abide by that.

Those people have just as much right as your parents do to live there in peace & quiet. It's not up to you or your parents to define what is "peace & quiet" for them.

He asked you to walk it home, you did. Everyone is happy, case closed.

I will sometimes take one of my bikes on a quick trip down the street after working on them, testing, riding, whatever... If a neighbor complained, I'd stop in a heartbeat. Don't want any drama from the neighbors at all.

genipher

Feb 29, 2008
ok iam new to this my soon has a dirt bike project due on monday for his aig class and i was wondering if you had any information on tracks history of dirt bikes or anything to use thank you :)

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Ol'89r, your last post nailed it (last paragraph). The blame lies squarely with the parents. You said you talked to their dad 5 times? My bike would have been sold after 3-4 at most (at most). The Christmas I got my XR100, my older brother by 3yrs and my cousin (same age as my brother) also got used dirtbikes. Theirs both had lights. That very night, they thought it would be fun to sneak out and go for a 'night ride'. When they got back, their butts got tanned and their bikes were immediately on the market. The fear of losing my bike kept me from doing a lot of stupid things. My mother had little control over me as well, and I'd try to get away with things when dad wasn't around. But, they would have had to have been up in those hills you are protecting because if my mother or any neighbors reported me disrespecting adults or causing any property damage, I knew what my fate would be when dad came home! btw...dad never once hit me, but he knew how to intimidate and create pain in ways that didn't leave a mark! (ever get picked up by the short hairs of your neck as a teenager?) The greatest fear for me though was losing my bike, and I knew he'd sell it in a heartbeat if I screwed up!

MSB22

Feb 19, 2008
im lucky to live in a small town. where no one really cares if you ride through town at a reasonable speed low rpms, cause they know your going to the trails right outside of town. They will wave, sometimes even come down to watch. Very rarely does someone glare at you as you ride through town.

I still can't believe you offered to let the kids go ride with you in your trails and they blew you off.

When someone comes up to me and says hey I got a riding spot you want to go check it out. I am like :nod: :cool:

Top Bottom