The old clutch clunk but other issue

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Ever since I got the RM, it's always "clunked" and pulled forward slightly when I put it in first - when the bike is cold.

I understand that's likely a normal condition - I've been totally unable to adjust it out with the adjusters.

It seems to be getting worse - doing it even after the bike is warm. Clutch plate issues, I assume? Is it going to hurt anything? The bike shifts perfectly once it is moving.

However, of more concern, when I was at the practice track the other day, anytime I had to downshift quick a couple gears for a close, tight corner - before releasing the clutch lever, the bike would sometimes stall - as if the clutch wasn't engaging enough.

Ideas?

Thanks

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Rob have you pulled the clutch and checked the basket and hub? Once the basket and hub get notched up all sorts of weird stuff can happen. My son's 03 and 05 have no "clunk" when new, as the basket and hub get trashed they develop somewhat of a clunk into gear to start. Also as time goes on the tabs on the fibers plates get beat to crap and can break.

Pull it apart and check out the clutch, it's simple and new plates are cheap enough. The OEM Suzuki hub is pretty reasonably priced so we usually stick to those but go with an aftermarket basket when the stocker get's trashed. As for plates I've tried Barnett, and DP and will always use OEM from here on out for our RM's other's have had great success with aftermarket plates. I've got a Hinson basket here that would fit your bike but sure as shooting if I sell it the kid will need his replaced in short order :bang:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I have a Hinson Basket already. I haven't checked it this year yet, but lat last summer it looked fine. I guess I should check it out again.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I have had the same problem on both of my bikes( yx and kx) On the yz I went thru the hole clutch and replaced every peace without fixing the problem!!! So I learned to live with it. On my kx the same thing was happening when i bought it< and I was not going to live with it!! After trying just about everything,I had the cover off one day and pulled the clutch lever in and saw that one side of the pressure plate was not releasing as far as the other side. So I got a new set of springs and installed them and WALA FIXED!!!! Plus I run 5w-50 castrol synthetic motor oil For an even smother clutch feel!! And it has never slipped or had any other problems since!! Even with the fact that I'm running a cheap TUSK clutch set from Rocky Mountain.

yzf250_carl

Apr 20, 2006
Clutch Not Disengaging

The clutch in my yzf250 06' is not disengaging properly in low revs in mainly 1st gear but not all the time, only somtimes. The clutch itself is in good condition as it has been checked out and reinstalled several times. Clutch cable adjustments are fine, what else could it possibly be? Someone please help as i need to race in a week. Thanx, Carl.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Pressure plate seems to move alright - evenly. The Hinson basket is not notched at all.

I guess the srpings must be the problem . . .

Top Bottom