farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
I ran across this forum and had a moment of "motorcycle epiphany" the other day :clue:

Maybe the reason that I like to plonk around in 1st & 2nd gear over ledges & obstacles - and the reason that I keep adding stuff (FWW/carb mod/torque pipe/etc.) to boost the "low end" of my KDX... is that I was meant to ride a trials bike!

Obvious question (to anyone who has one) - I've "Read This" and understand that a trials bike is meant to always be ridden standing up - and that sitting is awkward - but can it be done??

I mean, if I'm going 1/2 mi. from obstacle area "A" to obstacle area "B" - or if I'm following my nephew around the trails on his YZ 80 - is sitting even a possibility?

Or does that question fall into the "why would you want to (sit)?" category! I know it's the wrong question, since the bike is obviously made for standing, but curiousity got the best of me...

Jeff

Last edited:

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
farmerj said:
Obvious question (to anyone who has one) - I've "Read This" and understand that a trials bike is meant to always be ridden standing up - and that sitting is awkward - but can it be done??
Jeff

Jeff,
If you have an older trials bike like a TY Yamaha or Montesa,
yes you can sit while riding.

The newer bikes without seats, I wouldn't recommend trying to sit while riding.

I've ridden my 99' Montesa all day (4 hours) while riding with my nephew. I mostly stand when I ride my XR 250 , so standing is not an issue with me.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Scorpa has a seat & larger tank kit for their bikes and Montesa is going to offer something similar. The seats in these kits are not antwhere near a regular seat and the foot pegs are still going to be really far back and the shift lever really far up, the suspension will seem really soft and...

I've seen really flexible people sit while "riding" between sections but it's an interesting position that you have to assume.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=85547

http://www.tryalsshop.com/scorpa-specs-2004/preview-2004.htm

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Thanks, guys - you hit my question directly! I can't wait to try one of these bikes!

Thanks for the great links, Patman. It's an interesting world out there!

Jeff

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
All kinds of neat stuff out there for sure! Just be advised that a trials bike with a seat and larger tank is still a trils bike and not a high speed desert racer. It will have what will seem like odd peg placement and soft suspension.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Really, once you get used to riding a trials bike you'll find it is more awkward to sit down! They are so lightweight that standing on them really takes no more energy than standing on your feet.
The only time I see guys "sit" is when they are waiting for their turn in a section.

And yes, it sounds like you're the perfect candidate for a trials bike! :)

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
If you are really short like me you can sit - no problems!! Its the getting back into the standing position that takes some effort :p

Also if you are really relaxed when riding it really helps with the amount of energy that you use. Trial riding a trials bike tends to be very slow because of the frame geometry and soft short suspension - so you can only be relaxed (does that make sense??). Wheelies are more fun standing up anyway .....

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
wayneg said:
Wheelies are more fun standing up anyway .....

Wayne you made me laugh. Until I took trials lessons last year I didn't have a clue how to do a wheelie. I still have not done a seated wheelie, on my stock XR 250. I can wheelie the XR but I have to be standing.

When I trail ride my Montesa, I ride it as hard as I do my XR. The suspension does just fine. It does get riders attention when they get passed by a trials bike. :ride: But I'm only good for a couple of minutes going that fast. :eek:

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Cripes - I'm only good for about 30 seconds before my body falls to bits. And even then I'm probably only going about as fast as I could ride a 'normal' dirt bike in second gear - very slowly. That is the sad fact that is 'maximum Wayne speed'.......

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Thanks for the input, all. I'm getting the picture - a trials bike is "purpose-driven", and having two bikes "in the stable" is not a bad thing!

On long rides w/singletrack & fireroads I'll want the enduro-type bike; but on those days when I'm playing on my favorite "stepped" hill with throttle control and balance points - and the goal is to see how slow I can go (sometimes without falling over!) - the trials bike could be a blast.

I think I'll be asking for that Ryan Young video for Christmas!

Now, if I can just figure out a "soft landing" for when I'm learning to get over that 3 foot log laying across the trail...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yup two bikes is the cure.... then three, four.... :laugh:

farmerj said:
Now, if I can just figure out a "soft landing" for when I'm learning to get over that 3 foot log laying across the trail...
Just don't fall and it's not an issue ;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Spoken like a man with personal experience Wayne ;)

I don't fall on my trials bike anymore :)

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
I have a Hebo footpeg imprint on my lower leg, and thinking about it you shouldn't fall on the exhaust header either, and that is from personal experience :p

Its funny because when I went up to Auckland to go for a putter about with Michelle and Henk, there were all these Enduro riders with broken arms, and huge surgical scars all over their bodies (they ride at high speeds in forestry a lot). I told them that I broke a finger nail once riding trials, and they didn't seem terribly impressed.....

Ud Luz

Jan 4, 2002
wayneg said:
Trial riding a trials bike tends to be very slow because of the frame geometry and soft short suspension

I don't agree with that. I can easily ride my Montesa as fast or faster than the 400exc on tight woods trails. It really makes riders stare when you blow by their enduro bike in a hare scramble.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
wayneg said:
OK fair enough - maybe I'm just slow no matter what I ride.....

Wayne,
I'm sure you are an excellent rider, all that you need is a quality steed. Like a Montesa, it seems that the two of us that trail ride with abandon are riding the Spanish Honda.

Maybe you ought to get a Monty (4 stroke) and give trail riding another try. Then you can give those of us that are at least 4 years away from buying one, a review on the bike. ;)

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Unfortunatly the "Senior Management" wouldn't allow another new bike until at least next year, especially considering I still haven't properly ridden the "new" one I just got yet!! She was grumpy enough when I got this one - and had to put up with me trying to justify why it was such a good deal etc. And then had to put up with my groaning about my sore back for quite some time. It amazes me that I'm still married, and have the odd concession to marital olympics.

Patman on the other hand has a much better case - seeing as he just offloaded that horrible Monty to Rich...... :laugh:

and then Patman can give us all a decent test\ride report. :cool:

(boy am I full of good ideas today..)

youngr51

Jul 20, 2004
Sounds like you need a trials bike. Just because its called a trials bike doesnt mean you have to treat it like a old vintage bike and avoid dropoffs, jumps, and ocassion blast down a trail. They are the most versatile bike out there. They can take about any pounding you can put to them. I ride mx,trails,and trials and when im on my bike i dont second guess any obstacle just because its a trials.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah just full of great ideas that Wayne guy is. Maybe I should pick up two of them new Montys just to be sure they perform the same?

I have ridden my prior trials bike on tight trails and even MX tracks. It might be possible but I don't think a track is a great place for them, the trails worked just fine but again it's much more fun to use them as intended IMO. Just like it's more fun to use a CR/YS/KX/RM/SX on a track where it really belongs than in a trials section.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
No one would do...... ;-) Just as long as you give us a good honest test of all the important bits. Such as a good comparison with your 2 stroke Monty from a 'normal' rider who doesn't attempt 10' splatters etc. Videos would be nice......

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
By that I mean that 10' splatters don't really apply to my skill level - 3' is about my fear threshold before the bike gains some revenge.... typically resulting in a minor amount of blood losses.

Top Bottom