Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
That was nuts!!! Anyone want to guess how far Mr.Who went??? I'm thinking err...100+ that jump would have me crapping in my pants (sorry for the graphics image, but thats the only way to describe it)

:aj: :aj: :aj:

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
I saw plenty of those two that day(coming toward me at least), I was flagging the first table on the back side, since it was tooooooo short for these guys, they would just over jump it to the left and use the bank for a landing. As soon as the thunder hit the dirt------ the dirt hit me! Both of them looked over at me a couple of times like " You D.A., you know I'm gonna get you."

It was a great day!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Okiewan

Here's a pic. Keep in mind, this is no MXA photo-op, this is not a set-up shot... this is hitting a corner AT SPEED.
And Billy actually made it through that turn without laying it down? Whew, if I ever get the bike down that far I'm simply falling!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
That is a cool pic! I don't care if I never grab 50 ft of air, get the holeshot, haul through the whoops etc...but I GOTTA learn how to turn like that. Atleast for the sake of getting a snapshot of me doing it. :) Then I'd take it in to my "crotch rocket" buddies at work and show 'em what laying it down in a turn is all about. :thumb:

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
A lot has to do with that corner and the dirt there, it was a perfect berm in perfect soil!! You just don't find that kind of dirt out here :( , I love that deep loamy dirt ( who doesn't) with just the right amount of water :yeehaw:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Let's not forget the daring efforts our intrepid photographer. Okie is to be commended for his bravery in the face of danger. Remember, he ran for cover on the first attempt, but got right back in that danger zone. And with nerves of steel, he got the photograph.

We salute you, :worship: “Mister lay down on your tummy on the outside of the turn picture taker.” Because without guys like you. There wouldn’t be any handlebar draggin’ dirtweek pictures of Billywho. :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I have to agree VD, Okie put his arse on the line, especially knowing Billy!!:) If you think his riding is nuts, try being a passenger in his truck with a popped out upper control arm and an ignition fire whilst he chows on a Texas size popsicle!:scream:

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Elk-a-riffic, you forgot talkign about the "ball-slapper" as MISTER Who calls it too. :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I was hoping to forget that little technique.

Thanks for the pm VD, didn't think of it that way!:):):)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Somehow, I'm getting props cause Billy can turn, gotta love that LOL!
But you are correct, first time he came around I was a lot farther into the track... he was coming so fast I didn't think there was any way he would make the turn at all.. I had visions of a Honda fender thru the gut! (ran like a school girl, clicking shots :scream: , which ended-up as nothing but sky). Second time, I decided at that speed, if he was gonna take me out, all I'd have to do is jump striaght up and he go right under me :silly:

I just wish that would have been a high-end camera (no blur).

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I say, just stay there and get the shot, no matter what. We'll enjoy the picture after you're gone!:) I'm sure the local hospital in Stillwater has seen more than one impailment of a bike into an innocent bystander.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Wow Nice turn Billy, Great shot Okie!

I took a corner like that once, when the dust settled I just sat there in the dirt until someone came along to help me pull my bike out of the next county.  Thank God for military paid hospital bills!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Moose95
Wow Nice turn Billy, Great shot Okie!

I took a corner like that once, when the dust settled I just sat there in the dirt until someone came along to help me pull my bike out of the next county.  Thank God for military paid hospital bills!

It must have been down in VA. I never saw you take a turn like that!

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by Okiewan
ran like a school girl, clicking shots :scream:
ROTFL :)

Great shot of great cornering!

Leave it to you to get us through the winter months with all these video snippets. :thumb:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Great shot Okie!  I got to experience Billy at DW02, didn't think a bike could leave a jump face, rear wheel high and not be wadded up upon landing.  Watching Billy and Doug at Cooperland made me realize that in my dreams, when I was winning a National Championship, these guys weren't in the race.;)

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Where'd he get that helmet,...from a crashed F-17 pilot?

I guess at those speeds, that may be the required attire.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Billy, I watched that video about twenty times and I just cant figure out how you caught up to Doug so fast. It clearly looked like he was pulling away pretty easily after the corner on the bottom and wham you come flying by at what looks like almost double the speed. I dont get it.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
LOL, I always hit the face on the right side because there was a rut there that didn't have a lip, so it didn't kick or throw you up as high. You have to carry more speed to clear the top lip, so your overall speed over the whole obsticle is a lot faster. If you look again, you can see Doug's line sent him higher sooner with the "top" of his "arc" of tragectory before the top lip. His line is the smoothest on the landing and sets you up a little better for the next right hander, but it was a little slower over all :p . The line I took, puts the top of the arc right over the top crest of the hill, so I really didn't start comming down till I passed the crest, and it puts you on the inside going to the next turn, which is better if it became a shoveing match in the turn. I wish I could sketch something :( . Basically, he had more vertical speed, and I had more forward speed. If I remember correctly, he moved to the right side when I was right behind him in the second moto for a couple laps, then when I faded he moved back over, as did I, it's more fun on the left, but slower :) .

Top Bottom