katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Anybody else ride it? I just got back home. Wow, lots of Sno so it did live up to it's name this year didn't it?

Not the best of conditions compared to many years unless of course you were on a snow sled, which I wasn't.

My trelleborgs seemed to have decent traction but lots of ruts kept things interesting for sure - Might have been better if we hadn't started after a hundred others maybe.

107 (or maybe it was 117) sign ups, pretty darn good turn out for such crappy weather.

Dirt can come any time now that the "chicken" is over with.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
WOW - sounds like a great turnout!! Soooo, did you guys get to do any single track?? How was the entrance coming back into Peacock after riding all day? I know that it can get pretty bad after that many bikes went thru.. Were there lots of sleds out too??
Glad to hear you made it back safely Katoom - hope the rest of the guys did too!!
Any pics anybody?
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Did I hear someone say pictures??

Yep the official count was 107 riders. Just a huge turnout. Trails were in great shape. Lots of snow. No slush holes :cool:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 435
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 377

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
The connector trail wasn't much of a challange this year as it stayed cold all day and the field of death was relativly hard packed. It was still a squirly mess coming back in but compared to past years was a cake walk. :think:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 419

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I was starting to feel like your friendly neighborhood Wallmart person. As I was dishing out spare parts left and right. Sure is good that someone is prepared. 1st my spare set of goggles went to a needy rider that was with Keith. Then my face mask went to another buddy. My Scotts no fog cloth was also in hot demand all day.

I have to say though...I finially solved my foging goggles problem. I got a dual pane lens for my oakleys and a breth box for my helmet and had no troubles all day. I would keep my goggles on even at stops and they never foged. Way cool.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 427
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 127

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
If you look closely in some of those picts you will see white spots. That would be snow. It snowed like crazy all day long. At the end it really got interesting cause the trails were getting deep.

Several riders were ending there ride with about a dozen screws in there rear tires. How they made it back is beyond me.

I thought I lost one rider after the gas stop. Everyone remembered passing him but no one had seen him. So back I go 5 miles to the gas station. Nowere in sight. But while there I did find one lost soul that needed to get back to Peacock. So I said...In my best woodsy voice... "Follow me! I know the way back" and with that we took off into the woods together. We took the cross connector and then down to Peacock. He was an ice cube by the time we got back. But a happy ice cube.

Turns out that the lost rider wasn't lost at all. He went on ahead and no one noticed. Oh well. I got an extra 1/2 hour of ridding time in.....Bonus!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Oh and the single track was DEEP! Joe dove in at one point only to come to a dead stop 20ft in with a monster roost behind him.

I managed a small section of single but it was pretty deep out there and I got buried a few times.

Overall a great day in the trail. I had a blast. Just what I needed. Ahhhhhhh.......

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Say Don, are my eyes decieving me or is that the Hubster wearing the Carharts and riding his 450?? Was Keith and his Bro there and was Keith riding a new KTM?? I had heard thru the vine that he was thinking of going to a 450? I think that was about the turnout they everhad wasnt it? Seems like all the years I made it up there for the Chicken it was well below 100 signups.. Did MXgirl make it?
ANyway, thanks for the GREAT pics - glad you got the jeeebeees out of your system - now we can settle into a great spring with some quality riding!!!
Later my man!
Woodsy

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
wooo hooo well it was fun even though i mostly was just puttsin along keeping an eye on the wife, she did good and was pretty happy all day long winding out the little 200 quad thats her in some of those pic's there. the only place she had anytrouble all day was the dished out bowl from hell as its called, she couldnt make it up the hill out of the bowl 2 wheel drive and no screws or chains on the tires, so she had to hold my bike wile i did it for her actually it wasnt that easy for me either i made it though spinnin hard the hole way woo hoo. i think i saw 4 sleds this year wile on the trail, i was surprized i thought i would see more with how nice the trails were, most of the corners were polished ice when we came through hehe you could see were everybody would slide it in and power slide it out to, here and there you could see some spin outs after the corners. as don said the no fogg trick dual pane lense's, and i used a yellow lense and holy cow did it give some detail to the snow i could see the whoops and ruts all so much better than with a clear lense, like we had in my wifes goggles i switched with her and gave her mine with the yellow lense and she didnt want to give them back hehe. i wish i could have talked with you guys more at the stops, but i had to give the wife alot more attention with this being her first ride up north, but i think i will be able to get her up north more now that she has seen how much fun it is. i only lost 14 srews in my tires the whole day wile wheeling down the straigh sections lots O fun doing snow wheelies. i didnt see the golf cart this year though.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Yep that was the Huber on the 450. Along with his buddy on a xr650.

Keith was there, pisture #2 next to the quad. But his Bro was a no show this year. I think the field of doom scared him off this year. And no Keith wasn't on a 450KTM. That was his Buddy Darrel from Ludington.

Didn't see any of the DRN regulars there. That was a great turnout. Way more than any other year. I think the most ever was like 60 riders.

As for getting the jeebies outta my system.....Not hardly. That just fueled the fire. I am more antsy now than ever to ride.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
No I didn't make it. Bike is still in pieces. Swingarm is almost fixed now. Just one more bearing to knock back into place. Haven't had the transfer case looked at, yet. So I am unable to tow a trailer right now. Although, I could use my hubbys Dakota...I just don't like that truck. I did find out some good info on my transfer case though. Turns out that you can just change the fluid to synthetic ATF and the noises will stop. Took a lot of searching and talking to people before I found this out. So we're going to try that first. Only problem is with bike in pieces we don't have enough room in the garage to mess w/the truck too...that's the next project.

Sounds like everyone who went had fun, though. We'll have to definitely try to make the trip next year!

Does anyone know when this snow will stop?? I'm really getting sick of looking at it. My Explorer isn't likeing snow covered roads right now...

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Cool pics!!! Looks like fun. I'm glad I don't live in the white stuff anymore but there are times when I'd love to have a day just to play in it. :) Awesome helmet cam clip too. Seems like he was moving along pretty good for going through snow. Was traction that good? Or is it like riding on greasy mud?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Green Horn said:
Cool pics!!! Looks like fun. I'm glad I don't live in the white stuff anymore but there are times when I'd love to have a day just to play in it. :) Awesome helmet cam clip too. Seems like he was moving along pretty good for going through snow. Was traction that good? Or is it like riding on greasy mud?

Its a little slick in spots. But overall its not too bad. We all run studded tires. Most places you can pull the front end up and wheelie. Definately steer with the throttle in the snow.

Top Bottom