_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2 : The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will
expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 : You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school.
You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get boss

Rule 5 : Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it
opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine
about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they
are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes
and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before
you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation,
try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but
life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and
they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This
doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off
and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do
that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually
have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
2strok4fun said:
True:

Unless you work for the government...
I don't believe the words "work" and "government" are to ever be used in the same sentence.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
going on how ALOT of kids act today....this should be a mandatory staple of every home refrigerator front!hahaha People say, "I'm sure you were no different as a kid and teenager". not true......I understood respect and gave it. An old co-worker of mine told me a story about his buddy's teenage son one time. Apparently, the guy gave his son his mint condition mid 90's vette for a 16th birthday present....the kid got VERY ticked off at the thought of driving this gorgeous car and demanded an SUV!

Jan 27, 2009
well as bad as the kids are, theres something else to be remembered.
they arent born that way, if your kid is acting like this its because YOU raised him that way. even if you didnt teach them their bad habits, you exposed them to this somehow.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
dirtbikerider123 said:
well as bad as the kids are, theres something else to be remembered.
they arent born that way, if your kid is acting like this its because YOU raised him that way. even if you didnt teach them their bad habits, you exposed them to this somehow.

Uh.. that may be partially true and in far too many cases, completely true.

However.... Exposure to all the little uh... "kids" they hang with, try to keep up with, etc., are also part of the problem. Contrary to popular belief, how OTHER parents raise (or don't) their kids has a direct impact on your own kids.

Any parent will tell ya the same thing, it's all good until they get exposed to the world, friends, MTV ..."Sweet 16" comes to mind as well as The "Real" (seriously?) World, etc.

You can't keep them in a closet :)

We're blessed that our daughter came out well... we surely gave it every effort and considered raising her the most important thing we'll do in our lives. Even so, yeah, she got in trouble (typical teenager trouble) , but now at 24 and a nurse we are quite proud of her.

It damn sure wasn't easy.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The funny thing is that alot of young adults seem most attracted to things they were sheltered from as children.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
every generation gets "worse", it is a part of industrial/techincal evolution.

my parents had no electric had to use outhouses when they were young and were working bringing money into the house by the age of 14,I thought it was barbaric not to have a TV in our house in the early 70's My parents just thought I was acting spoiled,so I would do odd jobs in the neighborhood to get money so I could buy the things I wanted. what do you think the scenerio is with my children with cell phones, ipods and allowances

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
We have the ability to mold our children like a ball of clay, at least for the first several years. Kids learn the foundation for life at a very early age. Look at babies, some parents will go nuts trying to keep thier infant from crying. Even if that infant wants nothing more than to be picked up and stimulated from boredom. It's important to teach kids from right and wrong from day one. We were very fortunate to have a great pediatrician who tough us alot about raising independent, well behaved, respectful children. So often people ask us how we manage twin toddlers and an infant, really, it's not hard at all. The twins are a great help. I've given it my all raising these two little monkeys and they seem to be picking up some of the things I've been pounding in thier heads. I guess we'll see how it goes once they start school and get around some little knuckleheads.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Still the bottom of parenthood is viewed at the grocery store check out. The child controlling the "parents" by throwing a fit for candy.

I tried that as a kid. Didn't work with my parents. I don't have kids yet. I just hope that I do a good job raising them right. I think every parent has that same wish though. I just wanna be a good dad. My parents did a pretty good job. I'm VERY close with them. I'm able to know them and respect them as people and love them as my parents. and vice versa. My dad is my best pal. I'm a sappy fool though. Here's to a good childhood. cheers!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Just like everything else, you can over do it, and cause worse issues. Like giving them everything they want. The most basic form of government control, mine within the law? Decisions made under the influence of emotions is the start of an avalanche. Kids with issues, waking up out of your stupor, and properly applying the time out method works really well for both parties! That is the worst part, 2 weeks and damn near any abnormal behaviors can be fixed, it just takes enough love applied properly to get it done. IMO and musings as a parent of 25 + years?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Raising kids is kinda like setting up a bike, if you're not getting what you want out of it, make some adjustments and retest.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
_JOE_ said:
Raising kids is kinda like setting up a bike, if you're not getting what you want out of it, make some adjustments and retest.

Except you have to ride the kids much harder to get em to do what you want, specially the red headed one. Not that Im experienced with that or anything. ;)

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
2strok4fun said:
Except you have to ride the kids much harder to get em to do what you want, specially the red headed one. Not that Im experienced with that or anything. ;)

lol :rotfl: ooh that tickled me funny since I have a redheaded teenager :bang: many a time I felt like stuffing a berm with her lol

keltron

Dec 10, 2008
prob wouldnt try and put a new exhaust on a kid though. not until they were an adult and could make the decision and pay for the operation themselves

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
i would put a new exhaust on them they make them work it off when they are 16 with a 20% annual interest from when they were 6 and i put it on. lol these rules are fairly true.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
haha. I have a redhead nephew...funny as it gets.....and hell on wheels. doesn't help his name is Maverick!hahaha

Top Bottom