nick545

Feb 18, 2006
I'm not a fan of Honda....(Mostly because almost everyone I know has them).... I have a question about the 2006 CRF250. Does the dual exhaust make it a lot better. I got a friend that thinks the bike is 10x better and more powerful then all the other bikes in it's class just because it has the two exhausts. I always tell him that all it does is add weight and that Honda only put 2 because they wanted to be the first ones to do so.(I'm sure it does something but I think that their losing more by adding extra weight).... Am I right or does the exhaust balance the bike better and give it more power like the comercial says.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
They are not gaining more power by having the dual exhaust system. The main idea behind the system is to create a quiter running bike. With all of the new sound issues and restrictions and with the allowed db level continuing to decrease at the pro level (AMA and FIM) as well as local tracks and trails, the manufactureres are looking for ways to maintain power output yet still quiet the bike down. In order to make the single exhaust system as quiet as the dual exhaust they would have to be much more restrictive and therefore cost themselves power for sound. Honda claims that the bike is more balanced now with the dual exhaust and it improves handling. I would say that it is negligible in that respect and doubtful that it is noticeable at all. But the benefits of lower sound are definitely there and because there are two silencers they are smaller which allows them to tuck behind the plate better leaving them less open for damage as they dont stick out as far as the single silencer designs. As far as weight goes, while it is slightly heavier it is not that significant of a difference since the two silencers are smaller and it is very balanced.

Top Bottom