Convert

Apr 21, 2007
Hello everyone, I am so glad I found this site. I have done a search concerning the questions I have but really have not found what I need. I am currently looking at a 07 YZ450F, my present bike is a 97 RM250. What I need to know is the real deal when it comes to maintenance on the 4T. First let me say I don't race at all and I don't pretend that I can. My riding mainly consists of open hills, hitting jumps, and the occasional longer rides. Probably pretty tame in comparison to the vast majority here.

Back to my question, the maintenance. I have read anything from what I would consider to be overkill to what seems like an eternity. The dealer says that with frequent oil changes, keep the filter clean, that I would be able to get quite a bit of time between parts replacement and adjustment. So I would like to hear from people who perhaps ride at the same level I do and what they have been through in the real world. Do I have to change valves, piston/rings, cam chain, ect every year, do I have to adjust the valves every 15-20hrs or can I expect a reasonable time period between this type of work.

Really I want to know if they are as time consuming as some people say. I would like to ride more than fix.

Thanks for any who reply.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
My son races his 06 YZ450 and the maintanace really isn't that much worse as a 2 stroke as long as you keep up with it. The oil and filter should be changed every couple hours (we do it daily whether it is 2 motos or 6). Air filter must be cleaned and re oiled every day ( again we do ours as it is needed - some tracks every moto others at the end of the day). Valves need to be kept in adjustment but if you are not hitting high revs constantly you should be able to get a couple seasons (if you keep them in adjustment). We were able to finish the entire first season on the stock valves and then replaced them with stainless for this year.
Now figure on a 2 stroke you would be doing the same oil changes (but without the filter) and air filter work and at season end should probably do a topend also. Cost comes in when in addition to a topend you have to do work on the valves or cam.
4 strokes are not maintanance free but 2 strokes aren't either

Bakemono

Apr 21, 2007
Oldguy summed it up pretty well. 4-strokes arent as bad as some people would try to make them seem.
Change the oil and filter ever 3 rides (5 hours of runtime at the most), clean the air filter after every ride, adjust the valves as needed and thats about it.
If you arent riding hard all the time you might get several season of riding out of your 450 before you need a rebuild.
I think the big thing that spooks people about 4-strokes is that when you do have do a topend rebuild you are looking at a pretty heft repair bill. Expect to spend at least $1500.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I have a Honda CRF250X and I ride a gear high and slow. I have about 50 hours on the bike. I have had the valves checked by the dealer twice. Once at about 20 hours and again at about 40. They have been in spec at both checks and have not needed any adjustment. My style undoubtedly has alot to do with this. I sound like and old John Deere twin cylinder tractor when I am chugging through the woods in third gear.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
People are intimidated if not flat out ignorant to except something new or different. I would rather see 2 strokes,my son likes the 4 strokes,about 500 bucks more a year maintenance, check the valves when you get it and after it is broke in and then set a timetable for your riding.

Convert

Apr 21, 2007
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. Exactly what I wanted to hear, real life experience. Chili......yes your post was pretty good.

Thanks again

Top Bottom