Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Just for the record its not Pastranas fault for all the injuries,the rm250 is just too much bike for most people.
If that's the case, Suzuki has blown it big time, lol. They can sell ONE RM 250 to the only guy that can "handle it". RC. Oh wait, he doesn't have to pay for them :) Everyone else? Buy a RM and get hurt.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Okiewan said:
But... you will be at DirtWeek 04... correct?

Got the vacation time and will be relaxing in Florida 2 weeks before Dirtweek, so yeah. Only thing is i dont know where the Suzuki dealership is in Stillwater. :)

jtraces02

Apr 9, 2004
if rc was a real racer wouldnt it seem like he would be a little more loyal to hrc? i mean most of u wouldnt like to admit it but if u had set tons of records on the bike u have now,wouldnt u support it like it supported u.and wouldnt a real racer focus on winning than how much money he can rake in by making honda look bad?

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Its just like free agency in football. There is no more brand/team loyalty. It's all about the $$$.
I think RC began setting records on a KX so if what you say is true to form he should still be riding green. Instead he is raking in the green.
Granted, I'm not a Ricky fan, but I think calling him not a "real racer" is bizzar to say the least.

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
jtraces02, Why is it that the rider should be loyal? What about Honda being loyal? Seems like everyone always mentions loyalty by the riders, but no one ever mentions that a team should be loyal to a rider. If Honda was a "real team" shouldn't they be a little more loyal to someone who has won them championships? RC said he thought he would retire with Honda. I don't think loyalty has anything to do with it , but if we're going to talk about loyalty , it's a two way street.
Do you actually think that RC would have never won a championship if he hadn't been with Honda? He has been a dominent rider and I feel that has much more to do with his talent on a bike rather than which brand he is on. Wow, imagine how good Reed would have been this year if he had been with Honda, I guess he would have been lapping Kdub.
I can't fault RC for going for the money, the career lifespan is so short for these guys that I don't blame them a bit for getting paid while they still can.
Also, I can't fault Honda for not keeping him. I'm sure they made the decision they felt was best for them.
It's got to make one wonder what Honda has up there sleeve. It's hard to imagine them giving up a proven champ without having someone else lined up. I can't wait to see how everything works out.
Wes

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
Im a moto newbie so take this with a grain of salt.

It seems Honda is pushing the 4-stroke thing more then the others. Could it be that the big wigs where putting heat on RC to get off his 2-stroke altogether and ride strictly 4?
Could it be that in his contract with Suzuki it says dont push me I'll ride what I want. If this holds any water it might keep the 2-stroke movement on alittle longer if the fastest rider is still on one.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
There was an interview with a Honda exec in a recent Cycle News, they might have a link at their site.

Basically, the Honda Rep said that they tried to keep RC, and wanted him to finish his career on a Honda. He said RC would always have the choice of 2stroke or 4 stroke. Honda was surprised that RC's management was insistent on getting a deal signed so early. He made it seem like they were willing to match Suzuki eventually, but Ricky left anyway.

IMO, RC wanted to get a long term contract signed early, just in case he gets injured in the nationals, or never recovered fully from his surgery. Honda wanted him to stay, but were dragging their feet on the new contract until he proved he was the same as the pre-surgery RC. Suzuki was willing to take a chance and step up to RC's terms, so rather than let the entire industry twist in the breeze, RC went public right away.

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
See my newbieness shined I didnt know what I was talking about :)

Still I wonder if behind all the smoke and mirrors if there was alittle heat on him to push the 4stroke more then he really wanted to. Suzuki not shinying much lately might have a big revamp on there 2stroke in 2005-2006 and hope RC can get there name back up. They have the oldest 2stroke motor (dont they) so maybe the will be the last for a complete new drivetrain/chassis before the 2stroke is killed.
At least this is what Im hoping. I'm in the market for a new bike soon and was waiting till to see what the last legal years bikes had to offer. Being a Suzuki rider myself I was hoping it would be them.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
dirt bike dave said:
He made it seem like they were willing to match Suzuki eventually, but Ricky left anyway.

Honda had a "first right of refusal" clause in RC's contract. RC had to bring any contract to Honda and they had the choice to match the contract or let RC go, they chose the latter.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Ya know what they've always been saying "RC could win on anything at this point", well let's hope so! I don't think going to the Suzuki is taking a step up or a step down really. Especially with what they put into these bikes. He should have plenty of time (barring injury) to get the bugs worked out (if there even are any) before the SX season starts!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
If this holds any water it might keep the 2-stroke movement on alittle longer if the fastest rider is still on one.

Let's not forget Stewart, who will probably (based on his comments) be on a 2 stroke for the remainder of his career (unless he 'learns' to like the 4).

I don't think going to the Suzuki is taking a step up or a step down really. Especially with what they put into these bikes.

I've always had the impression that the RM's were the most complex and expensive bike out there, for some reason. Recall that the current RM reputedly has $70000 in it. Then consider that Windham's bike is basically stock (from the motor standpoint, so I've read).

Suzuki was willing to take a chance and step up to RC's terms, so rather than let the entire industry twist in the breeze, RC went public right away.

I think the biggest point there is that RC did it on his own without the approval of HRC. Kehoe had no idea. Bad blood, I tell ya.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Honda having K-dub running a stock motor :think: i dont think so, Honda puts more money into their works bikes than any team on the planet, last year K-dubs crf made 60hp and was rumored to be worth close to 200k.

Suzuki's are rumored to be the fastest bikes on the circuit, that doesn't mean they are the most expensive.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Where are you reading this? I read in one of MXA's back issues that his bike made 60hp, you dont do that with just a pipe and silencer.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Ok, i just did some research, according to FMF's site a stock crf450 makes around 43 peak hp(i know, to many variables to trust the dyno readings, its all i could find unless you guys want to post a dyno) and in MXA's december '03 issue they claim that K-dub's bike pumps out around 55hp. Are you guys goining to sit here and tell me that k-dub's crf gains 12hp with no motor work!?!? Sorry, but I want to see some evidence guys.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
You know what they say about rumors...

Did MXA have a dyno?

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
I'd be willing to bet that Windham's motor is not "nearly stock". Let's face it, stock 250's put out almost exactly the same amount of power as stock 450's, and everyone knows the 250's are heavily modified for pro racing. Seems to me that a stock 450 would get stomped, particularly outdoors(riders being equal), by a bunch of 250's with 5-10(or more) extra HP!

To quote Mitch Payton, referring to Tedesco's thumper- "This is the most expensive motor I've ever built." I don't think ProCircuit is likely, IMO, to spend more money on an engine than HRC. I know PC is backed by Factory Kawasaki, but Chapparal/Amsoil is backed by the most dominant(and richest) company in the history of SX/MX, Honda.

None of us, and none of the magazines for that matter, have ever seen, or probably ever will see, the inside of K-Dub's engine- only HRC, their engineers, their engine builders, and their mechanics can honestly say they have. But rumors saying it is "nearly stock"(whatever that means) have probably sold more than a few CRF's. Hmmm, I wonder how rumors like this get started? :think:

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
It is good advertising to say a bike is "nearly stock". The manufacturers do not want the general public to know exactly how much money goes into a race bike.

MXboy00

Jul 3, 2003
CJG said:
To quote Mitch Payton, referring to Tedesco's thumper- "This is the most expensive motor I've ever built." I don't think ProCircuit is likely, IMO, to spend more money on an engine than HRC. I know PC is backed by Factory Kawasaki, but Chapparal/Amsoil is backed by the most dominant(and richest) company in the history of SX/MX, Honda.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't Pro Circuit build Factory Connection's Motors? I'm almost positive. So if that's the case, and Mitch Payton had to bring that engineer on board for the thumpers...I'd think that the Factory Connection thumpers are getting the same "Treatment" so to speak that Tedesco/Roncada's bikes get...No more, no less.

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
If that's true it proves my point. But according to the latest Dirt Rider, for what that's worth, "Although Windham has his own team and crew, his bike is still very much a factory ride." Also, "...we can promise you K-Dub's motor has had more done to it than you could possibly imagine,..."

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom