Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
First off, I'm really picky about the boots I wear... I've been looking for a good compromise between protection and all day comfort... I may have it with the new release from Sidi... the Vortex.

It's too early to put-up the full review, I only have one day in the new boots, but I can comment on a couple of things.

1) Build quality. EXCELLENT. In typical Sidi fashion, these things are very well made, a lot of attention to detail and those awesome Sidi buckles; the best in the industry IMHO.

2) Out of the box: This boot is not a hinged type boot seen in so many Sidi models, rather a more conventional style ankle. They will require some break-in time, but aren't bad right out of the box. I had no problems with missed shifts, footpeg feel, etc... I did experience a little clown-walk in the pits as the soles need to break in. Did not notice any pressure-points, except the typical ones where the ankles need to soften-up, no biggie.

3) These are taller (which I like) than the Force boots from Sidi, as well as my A-Stars. My braces fit lower into the boot for an even more secure feeling. No fitting problem around my calves/braces.

I don't have it first hand, but I'm assuming Sidi is positioning these in their line as the Tech 6 is in the Alpinestar line, not the top dog(as with A-Stars, I actually prefer the Tech 6 to the Tech 8).

I'll be putting these things thru the paces over the next several rides and put up a full, detailed review in the boot review section but wanted to give a heads-up... there is another option out there that deserves a look.

Attachments

• vortex_1b.jpg
    vortex_1b.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 583

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Let us know how wet your feet get next time you put a foot down in the crick. Sidi's are probably going to be my next boot because I've heard they are the best at keeping your feet dry.

CrazyTed

Jul 26, 1999
OK Okie, you'll have to let me know how they compare to the other Sidi boots. I'm thinking of switching to Sidi next time and was thinking about their top of the line boot though. My current boots are the A-starts M6's and I haven't been happy with them. They wore out really fast, especially on top of the toe area. Remember, I'm an off-road rider, not a jumper....

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Remember, I'm an off-road rider, not a jumper....
Then you don't need the SRS sole. go with the standard sole in either the Force or the Vortex. Can't go wrong with either. The Force offers more heavy duty protection, the Vortex about the same or a little more than the Tech 6 , with a better sole.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Milquetoast
Let us know how wet your feet get next time you put a foot down in the crick. Sidi’s are probably going to be my next boot because I've heard they are the best at keeping your feet dry.

If they use the same method as the other SIDI boots, they should be pretty good . My TAE Flex boots are very water proof . After a year of use, the one feature I’ve decided I don’t care for is the pivot, so these new boots are quite interesting.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
I was hoping there might be a puddle or stream somewhere in the country to try out the boots, but I guess not. Those darn Europeans are hogging all the rain this year! :)

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Be careful what you wish for guys, been raining here for about two months straight, everday! I'm tired of washing the mud off my bike, never thought I would want the dust to return but... ;)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Someone else is asking about these so here is a quickie update;
Nearly a year later :)

Soles are awesome. I use IMS Pro pegs (SHARP!), no real damage at all.
They broke in really well, very comfortable.
Keeps water out a LOT better than the Tech 6.
No quality issues at all, Sidi makes a good product.

There isn't a lot to say about the boot and that's a good thing, it's good that boots never come to mind while you're riding :) Comfortable, protective and durable, right in line with A-Stars' Tech 6. A word of caution though... Sidi makes boots for "typical" to narrow feet. My wide dawgs a better suited for A-Stars, although I can still wear Sidi's all day with no complaints; just a little more narrow than I'd like. My dad swears the Sidi's were custom made for him.

For the woods rider this is a great choice. For MX, probably Sidi Force SRS, due to a more stiff sole.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Okie, I haven't checked, but on hand do you know if they make longer buckle straps? I've got the Sidi SRS, wear a 10.5 or so, and for some reason, my calves are the biggest muscles I've got. ;)
I'm constantly running out of ridges and really need to fight to get the top buckles done without the straps slipping apart.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Nephron,

www.motonation.com does offer longer straps. In addition, the calf area of the boot can be expanded about 1" by loosening the plate on the outside of the boot and sliding it out as far as it goes.

Before getting the Asterisks, I had chicken calfs; now I have Hulk calfs.... and the Sidis handled both size variations just fine! (I have the Force non-SRS). :thumb:

JCspode

May 30, 2002
I've had my Sidi Vortex for about 5 months now. I run enduros as much as possible. The first problem is the plastic adjustable straps. Especially the strap second from the bottom. I have lost 3 already because they pull out when I flex the boot too much.
The stitching on the plastic heel piece separated from the leather after 4 rides.
I was walking down a flat trail to help my girlfriend get her bike through a deep rut and I heard a pinging sound and noticed the metal toe piece come flying off my right boot. All I did was take a step forward.
I have had SIDI boots in the past and was pleased with the quality, but these new boots after 15 rides have not held up very well for the money I have spent on them.
Problem I have is they are used now and falling apart so I cant get my money back.
Time to order a pair of Tech 8 boots. Oh and these boots fill up with water faster than the Titanic.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
JCspode - I'd contact www.motonation.com about a warranty refund or replacement. They have very good customer service based on my dealings with them. I don't have any experience with the Vortex boot, but I'm very happy with the Force (non-SRS) for off-road riding.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Shows to go ya... your mileage may very.

I'll tell ya this, JCspode must be a lot tougher on his gear than I am! I've read of every brand boot, at all $ levels "falling apart" on people. There's a good story about MrLuckey's Tech 8's in this forum for example. There are numerous stories in these forums about the soles of A-Stars being complete crap. On the flip side, there are stories of just about any boot made; being the best thing since sliced bread.

Nature of the beast. We are talking about off-road boots here; stuff that takes a beating. Some people can keep a pair of boots for years, others wear them out in a season.

All someone can do is look at the quality of the product. Materials used, construction and function of the boot. There is no way the same boot will last two different riders the same amount of time. If the product is "abused", or if the product is not properly maintained, the life of the product will be shortened.

I'm not saying that JC is wrong, BSing or exaggerating, but no matter what, you can be absolutely sure that no matter what the product, no matter what the cost, someone is going to have a massive failure, even while the majority of the others using the same product will call it the best "widget" out there.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
All Sidi boots seem to be better for those with a narrow (er) foot. Even though I like all the Sidi boots I've tried, they never really broke in to end up wide enough for my feet. I've "had" to go back to Tech 8's simply because they (Alpinestars) are typically wider, at least that's my impression. Pick a Sidi Force or Tech 8... you can't lose. A Vortex or a Tech 6, same deal.

IMHO of course.

Top Bottom