Things I've learned from this Forum - Thanks!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I finally got to ride today, something I don't get to do nearly enough. :(

A little back ground on me; bought my 1st bike in 25 years about a year ago, joined DRN about 6 months ago. No racing experiences ever but fairly coordinated. From watching other riders and reading the input here on DRN, I have been able to accomplish several of the more difficult obstacles at our local track with minimal riding time. Each time I go out, lately about once every 6 weeks, I get so much better and comfortable then the time before. I was able to clear most of the 25’ – 30’ table-tops soon after starting to ride but today I managed to clear this short double with a hard turn immediately following, the one that gives havoc to the other riders. The problem has been slowing down fast enough after the double to make the turn, yet from just reading the posts’ here on DRN, I’m able to use these tips to do something I see other riders struggling with. I’m also managing to throw my bike into the corners and lean farther over that my handle bars could almost dig into the ground. It's a great feeling to lean so far over and still feel in control, another DRN riding tip. I also discovered that riding with the faster riders, as suggested here on DRN, is the best thing I can do. I'm getting a lot better at keeping up and even staying in front of a few at times. I'm clearing the step up that so many are casing using DRN suggestions. My starts are good but still need a lot of work on the 1st turn. Now if I had the *.>?* to hold the gas WFO more often on the straits I feel I could compete on this local track. That and get in good enough shape to ride more laps without wearing myself out.

Another thing, NO ARM PUMP today :) & The front brake is my friend. :)

All in all, I feel like I’m coming along nicely in only an occasional 20-minute ride.
:( (could explain the no arm pump thing)

I’ll keep working on the tips I'm reading here at DRN and I’m looking for a whoop section next, we aint got one. Sorry to post something so insignificant to the forums but I just feel good about the ride today and want to say thanks for all the info you people here at DRN have to share.

------------------
"Nature Boy"

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
That's What all of us are For!
Do you need help on whoops?
If you do read this.
Pull a small wheelie to get into the whoops. When traveling over the whoops lean back and let the front tire glide over the top. Remember to stand up! If you don't stand tall enough your Butt will get beat up. ok lets keep going. Let the bike glide across the top with consistant throttle. As long as you glide and let the bike and suspension do most of the work.
p.s The forks should only compress very little 1-3inches for each whoop. The less the better. This is the technique I was told to use.

------------------
http://www.honda-cycles.com
If your not dirty then your not riding hard enough!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks CRGuy, all I have to do is find some whoops, there are none where I ride but at the next track meeting I am suggesting adding some. I have never been on any before and I'm looking forward to giving them a shot.

------------------
"Nature Boy"

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
You're welcome.
Here are some tips for building them. Space 2-3 feet apart. They should be as tall as your front axle. I make mine taller to get the feel the Pros do. Use logs to take up space if you don't have enough dirt. Go to my Site httt://www.honda-cycles.com And follow the packing tips in JUMPS. It worked for me. Just remember to follow the packing and waiting tips. If not you will slice through them like butter. ( I have already done it.)

------------------
http://www.honda-cycles.com
If your not dirty then your not riding hard enough!

Top Bottom