things to know before trail riding

IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
I have a friend that wants to learn to ride a dirt bike and eventually go trail riding w/ me he dose fine around the yard but the yard and the woods are two totally separate worlds so, What would be the things i need to teach him before i get him in the woods so he dose not kill himself. maybe some practice drills like turning drills or anything that you think would help that i can get him to do

we don't really have any woods around us.

thanks Ryan

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The biggest thing about trail riding is trail sense. Don't go balls out around blind turns because you don't know what is on the other side, whether it's another rider, a sharp drop off, a slippery mud puddle, or a tree.

Unless your riding really technical trails, there aren't too many drills that need to be practiced. If you're riding the really technical stuff, the most useful skill I have developed is to be able to run next to the bike while using it's power to get me up a hill/obstacle I just went down on or got stuck on. Being able to pick the bike up on all kinds of terrain including steep hills and rocks and get it pointed in the right direction is also a bit of a skill.

If you're riding in the woods or in any situation, it's important to keep your eyes ahead. In general, if you look at something, you're going to hit it. This is especially important to know when you're weaving in and out of trees. Don't focus on them too much or you'll bust some knuckles on some bark.

Think about whats around you. In woods riding, there are often trees, rocks, logs, and steep drop-offs surrounding the trail. If you crash at high speed, you could slide off the trail and into any one of these.

All that said, woods riding is really not too hard and is actually a good place to learn to ride in because the speeds are much slower than fire roads so the crashes generally hurt much less. Traction is also much more abundant which means there are fewer slide outs.

IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
I was a bit luckier than my freind i have been riding since i was knee high to a grass-hopper so i had the riding around the yard thing down pat but when i got into the woods i was taken aback when i saw the steep uphills sharp rocks and uneven terrain

we ride semi technical stuff but i dont plan on taking him on any death trails

the way i learned to ride in the woods was just to go do it untill i figured it out but my dad was there if i got hurt too bad but this isnt exactly his kid so we cant go with the school of hard knocks.

let me ask this what are some drills for good clutch control because i know he is going to need that for the tuff rocky parts and the uphill parts and he is going to need good turning/weaving ablity for the dodging rocks and random stuff in the trails

anything else that anyone can think of would be appreciated.

thanks, Ryan

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
This reminds me of a TV ad years ago from some safety organization. The TV ad starts off showing a brand new shiny road bike, panning around it 360 degrees while the announcer gives the specifications, end with "Will take you from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds". Then the scene changes and shows a big tree trunk. The announcer continues, saying this is a Pine tree, 65 feet tall, and it will take you from 60 to 0 in 0.3 seconds.

How old is your friend?
If he is under 18 then I would be very cautious about lending him a bike and taking him out where he might get hurt. To start with, if he gets hurt and taken to a hospital there are all sorts of complications about getting proper medical care without consent of a parent.

Second, it is possible that the parents could sue you/your parents if you provided the bike and "enabled" his riding. If one of his parents is not participating in this at some level then I would recommend getting a signed waiver (release of liability) and a medical release.

Rod

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
Practice some off camber hill side riding where trees are limited so if your buddy gets out of shape he hopefully doesn't have to pick himself up from under the bike laying on a steep hill slope. Cheers..... :whoa:

IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
already have them but you can be in a suit of armor metaphorically speaking and still not be able to ride worth a crap

I just wanted to get him as prepared as possible before i threw him into the real world

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i ride a quad in the mountains and i ride 99% trails and probably 90% by myself. and here is some stuff for you and him.

if your riding on a logging road ALWAYS ALWAYS stay on the right side of the road, going around sharp corners be cautious of whats around you. because you never know when someone is going to be barrelling around the inside of that corner and not staying on his/her side of the road.

now back to the trails, if you guys are going along and you see a nice steep hill that you can climb, then stop at the bottom and ask him "you see that hill? do you think you can climb it?" if he says yes.. then go for it, but if he says no then keeping going.

especially on a bike you have to be able to peel your bike of a steep hillside and get it going in the right direction(usually downhill). umm... dont ride too fast and stop every once in awhile and ask him "hey, how is the pace for ya? do you want me to speed up or slow down?" you have to be patient with the newbies... its paintful but ya know.

76GMC1500 has said some really good info, use your head. most of it is common sense. you cant really "practice" for trail riding as the trails, terrain, traction all change day to day.

here's a drill for him..

if you have a little hill in the yard then get him to stop halfway up it and then practice getting going again. because if he's attempted to go up a hill and only made part way but stopped, then he needs to learn how to get moving again, aka.. lots of throttle and let the clutch out til it starts to grab the dump the clutch.

well this is all i have for right now. oh btw i have been riding trails with quads and bikes for 7 years.

IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
Thanks those are some good ideas there are alot of hills where we ride so defiantly going to get him to be able to take off up a hill and i was going to set up some buckets or cones and see if he can do some slalom for the dodging rocks and such and i remember my biggest thing was not being able to turn strait was fine but turns scared the crap out of me when i first started so ill see if i can think of a couple more things that you need in the woods

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
For clutch control, the best drill is to ride in circles while standing and while running at a speed too low to fully let the clutch out.

IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
Thanks I will have to have him try that, i also have this verry small jump in my back yard so i was going to have him stop at the start of it and go up it real slow for clutch control.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I would practice log-hops... Being able to nudge up to a 10" round log, pop the front tire over it and hop the back wheel over is probably the most technical thing you'll need to learn.

Other basic things are mainly body placement on the bike... Uphill, stand and lean forward, downhill, squat and sit far back on the seat. Foot placement is also key, I find a lot that I tend to ride road-style and forget that I'm on a dirtbike. Basically I sit with my legs and feet too wide on the bike. This prevents me from having easy access to the brake and shift lever. Practice to always have your feet over the controls in ANY situation.

I think one of the more important body-awareness drills you could run is cross-hill stops and starts. This will basically teach him to always set his up-hill foot down FIRST considering his down-hill foot will now be a foot or more further from the ground than it would be on flat-land.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Danny, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but PLEASE wait to give advice until you really know this stuff yourself.

DannyMoto07 said:
Practice to always have your feet over the controls in ANY situation.
In general, you DO NOT want your feet over the controls. Most of your riding should be done on the balls of your feet. You move your foot forward to shift and brake and them move it back. Riding on the balls of your feet gives you the additional suspension of your ankle and it keeps your feet from accidently hitting the brake or shifter.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
IamRyan said:
let me ask this what are some drills for good clutch control
A useful training technique that I have found for beginnners is to have them go one foot forward then stop... then two feet forward and stop... then three feet (ans so on).

Most beginners let out the clutch until it starts to grab then let go completely and dump it. Having them go forward just a foot teaches them to slip the clutch properly without dumping it.

IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
Danny, I appreciate your enthusiasm as well, but as High Lord said dont give out advice untill you are sure what your talking about. Dont feel too bad because about a year and a half ago I would have said Hell yeah dont move your feet an inch from those controls but not that i have a couple years under my belt I do exactly as High Lord said balls of your feet move to use control then right back just like about any sport you can think of always on the balls of your feet.

High Lord, I did something similar to what you said i had him take off ride a bit stop then take off again and as you also said he killed it but couple of tips and he was good to go.
now unless you are talking about going about a foot then stoping but not puting your foot down i think he could do that with ease i was more going for clutch control in the woods like when you get stopped on a hill or something of that nature

He has been on the bike ( Xr 200r '02 ( Great beginer bike)) for about 4 days just about every monday ( his day off work) so, he is getting the hang of it, but he needs a cranium protector and his melon wont fit in mine so im confined to verry slow practice drills untill he gets the money for a helmet
personaly I never get on a bike w/o one but its his melon but thats not the point i got him to do some verry spread apart sloloms and i have a wee jump i made him stop and then use the clutch to go up it makin him do everything in 1st gear so he dosent go to fast on anything but if you can think of any other general dirtbike skill practice's it would be appreciated.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
he is getting the hang of it, but he needs a cranium protector and his melon wont fit in mine so im confined to verry slow practice drills untill he gets the money for a helmet
personaly I never get on a bike w/o one but its his melon but thats not the point
Not the point? Au contraire mon fraire!
Great to read of your enthusiasm for riding and passion for teaching a buddy about the sport :cool: Great times are ahead for you both :nod:
[Here comes the wet blanket] Don't be a couple of "Richard Craniums" by riding w/out a helmet.Ken

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Ryan...I meant only go a foot and stop, most likely with his feet touching the ground the whole time. The point of the exercise is clutch control, not balance. Heck, I can't balance for more than a second or two and I've been riding for 20+ years.

Dan...you got a great attitude! We have an office in Lexington. If I get up that way how far are you from there?

IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
Ken, I agree 110% with you on that what I ment was riding safety wasnt the point I was trying to make. And as I said I never sit on a bike with out a helmet on. and once he gets his next paycheck neither will he.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
IamRyan said:
Ken, I agree 110% with you on that what I ment was riding safety wasnt the point I was trying to make. And as I said I never sit on a bike with out a helmet on. and once he gets his next paycheck neither will he.
Good to hear, Ryan. You don't need another "mommy" and I'm not applying for the job... really, I just wanted to write "richard cranium" in a thread. :laugh: Have fun-be safe.
Ken

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
My favorite practice technique:

When I'm on my street bike I will attempt to go as long as I can without putting my feet down while coming to a stop. Obviously other cars are around and I do this in safe manner.

Especially at stop signs while no one is around. Try to come to a complete stop then go again without your feet coming off the pegs or hitting the ground. Also do this without wild left and right steering to keep balance.

For a beginner I would have him speed up and attempt to stop with his front tire in a pre-determined box. Tell him to brake smoothly and downshift as well. Also tell him to wait until he absolutely has to put his feet down.

This will get his mind used to doing the multiple things required all at once during a real trail ride. Balance, clutch, brake, distance judgement are all tested in one exercise.

As he gets better tell him to go faster before stopping. This helps him learn the bikes limitations as well.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
mox69 said:
My favorite practice technique:

For a beginner I would have him speed up and attempt to stop with his front tire in a pre-determined box. Tell him to brake smoothly and downshift as well. Also tell him to wait until he absolutely has to put his feet down.

This will get his mind used to doing the multiple things required all at once during a real trail ride. Balance, clutch, brake, distance judgement are all tested in one exercise.

As he gets better tell him to go faster before stopping. This helps him learn the bikes limitations as well.

mox69 - do you coach? Are you north south east or west in MN?

I'm thinking of getting me a big log for my back yard to learn to hop over it.... Been doing on my road bike a lot of the stuff you've said... and some standing up stuff...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom