Think its time for a new sprocket?

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
this is my front sprocket off my cr125

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6236838
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6236837

im pretty sure its time for a new sprocket, this is a 12 tooth and the rear sprocket is a 52 tooth, is this the best gearing for a bike that will mostly see jumps?

i bought a new front sprocket. also, does this look like normal wear for a front sprocket, or does it look like there is a problem with alignment?

thanks,
mike

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
im looking for the best gearing for jumps and wheelies, i have 2 other bikes and this one will be wheelie/jumps only. the others i bought set up already, 1 for trail riding, 1 a bit meaner for the track.

thanks in advance

mike

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The chain being worn out is what ruined the sprocket. If the rear doesn't look like that, it is either a super hard *steel rear, or will look like the front very soon.
*(even a super hard rear will be worn like the front if you continue to run the same chain.)
If the rear has even the slightest bit of deformation at all, change it too.

12/52 gearing is more suited for woods riding in sigle track.
For the track, a 13/49-52 would be a better ratio choice for the 125cc.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Naw...that sprocket's fine. Now this one's bad! :laugh: :p

Attachments

• sprocket.jpg
    sprocket.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 143

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I'd just keep it stock ratios and since you are replacing the front sprocket, replace the rear and the chain at the same time. Make sure you scrub your chain well after every ride, and immediately lube it afterwards to keep it from rusting. It will last a long time if you take care of it...

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
Jaybird said:

what makes the 13/49-52 gearing better than 12/52 gearing?
whats the difference and how does each apply to each application, sorry for all the questions, im just trying to get the best performance possible for what i need out of my bike.

thanks

mike

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
madmike90 said:
what makes the 13/49-52 gearing better than 12/52 gearing?
whats the difference and how does each apply to each application, sorry for all the questions, im just trying to get the best performance possible for what i need out of my bike.

thanks

mike

Your 12/52 works out to a 4.33:1 ratio which is very low gearing. The 13/49 works out to a ratio of 3.76:1 and the 13/52 is 4.0:1. The larger the ratio the lower your overall gearing will be. You'll get quick accelleration but your engine will peak very fast resulting in slower overall speed for each gear. The 4.33 ratio is getting close to a trials bike gearing.
I was running just under a 4:1 ratio at one track earlier in the year but was setup for woods. I got a great start but was left in the dust after two turns and I was running WFO. I've since change to a 3.69:1 gearing. I still get outrun by 450's but at least I'm not getting blown away.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Divide the first number into the second number and you have your gearing ratio.

49 divided by 13 = 3.77
so, your gearing ratio is 3.77:1 or 3.77 turns of the small sprocket for every 1 turn of the rear sprocket.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Jaybird said:
The chain being worn out is what ruined the sprocket. If the rear doesn't look like that, it is either a super hard *steel rear, or will look like the front very soon.
*(even a super hard rear will be worn like the front if you continue to run the same chain.)
If the rear has even the slightest bit of deformation at all, change it too.

I agree with the chain being worn, done it myself and ruined a new sprocket quickly. Chain may "look" good but dont chance it. :coocoo:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom