Thinking of switching to 18 inch rim. how?

NWDirt

Oct 2, 2006
Went riding with some friends. One KTM 300 and one KTM 525. both had 18" rear rims and IRC trials tires and 12 psi. They both had amazing traction and could climb over slick tree roots, wet rocks, gravel hillclimbs, sandy hillclimbs you name it. I had a 756 19" rear on my yz 250, 2001. I could go faster in tight woods, but got stuck on the tree roots. How do i get an 18 inch rim so I can buy an IRC? ****? Buy a rim and restring it? Can I use a WR rear hub and rim?

I want that tire setup!

Any good links or info appreciated.

Dave

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
You buy a new rim and a spoke kit to mate your stock hub to the 18" rim and have at it.

Excel, Pro Wheel, and most any other aftermarket rim supplier can hook you up as you're not the first to put an 18" rear on a YZ250 for off-road use.

Or just buy a KTM300 and it comes stock. ;)

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Buy a spoke kit for a similar year WR and an 18 inch rim. You can reuse your hub. Double check that the WR has an 18 inch rim and uses the same hub, I'm pretty sure it does. A friend and I recently converted a 2002 CR250 rear wheel to an 18 using a spoke kit for a CRF450X.

If the spoke ends for the YZ and WR are not the same, you may have to order a custom set. Buchanan Spokes, http://www.buchananspokes.com/ , will make you a set of spokes for only slightly more than the cost of an aftermarket set (still way cheaper than an OEM set).

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Just go on a site like Rocky Mountain and buy an 18" Pro Wheel rim and the 18" spoke kit for it and re-lace using your stock hub. I just did basically the same thing with Excel gold rims and spokes for my AF. I went with an 18" x 2.50" rear so the tire will be spread out on the rim to give more contact for hillclimbing.

Top Bottom