DTH

Sep 21, 2001
my 92 cr250r has a bent 18" rim. I have a 19" rim off a 01 cr125r. i would like to know if i could use my hub from my 92 250 and respoke it to the 01 19" rim using 19" spokes? they both have 32 spokes each. thanks in advance for any responces. DTH

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
DTH said:
they both have 32 spokes each. DTH

DTH.

If they both use 32 spokes, it should work just fine. :cool:

Also, make sure the 19" spokes are the same diameter as the 18's.

Last edited:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
You will lose some width, but it should work fine. Have fun lacing that thing up! YZ165

2wheelsorless

Nov 15, 2004
if the hub flanges are identical as far as width and hieght ect,ect. it won't be a problem. you might want to use new spokes. new spokes are a lot easier to work with and the end result will be better.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If you run into any problems... let me know, I'm a big time wheel truer. Ask Rich :p

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
If you've never done it before, you might want to take a picture of how the spokes line up with the rim, how they exit the hub, and how they cross each other. I second the new spoke suggestion. They are so much easier to work with because the threads are clean and they are all they are all the same length. So all you gotta do is keep turning the nipples a little at a time (the same amount) and when it starts to tighten-up you'll be closer to having a true wheel. If you don't have a truing stand, mount the wheel on the bike and make sure to use all the spacers and tighten it up nice and straight as if you were going to go for a ride, that way you'll get it centered where it's supposed to be.

I've only built a couple of wheels so I'm speaking from a total beginners stand point. If you pull out all the spokes and put everything in a pile, you will end up confused about how it all goes back together. Take a picture of the wheel before you dismantle it, or have one like it to look at.

Lubricate those nipples!

Only tighten the spokes a little at a time, keep in mind that all the spokes need to be the same tension. There's a real interesting book written by Jobst Brandt called "The Bicycle Wheel." I liked it because it explains the complications of offset and the need for increased spoke tension (I know, it's about bicycle wheels but it's all the same except different). I don't think modern dirt bikes have these problems but on the vintage stuff with conical hubs and such it can be important.

Have fun.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
VintageDirt said:
If you've never done it before, you might want to take a picture of how the spokes line up with the rim, how they exit the hub, and how they cross each other. If you pull out all the spokes and put everything in a pile, you will end up confused about how it all goes back together. Take a picture of the wheel before you dismantle it, or have one like it to look at.

Lubricate those nipples!

QUOTE]

Excellent point VD.

Since most wheels have different length spokes depending on the offset, this can be very confusing if you dont have a picture to go by. If you cant take a picture of the wheel, make a drawing. Usually the longest spokes are on the sprocket side and with some wheels you will find different bends at the end of the spokes. Note all of these things before you take the old wheel apart.

Also, measure the offset. Take a straight edge and line it up the the sprocket side of the rim and then take another straight edge and line it up with the sprocket. Measure between the two straightedges and make sure the new wheel has the same distance between the straightedges.

And don't forget to lube them nipples. :yikes:

noosa_nick

Mar 22, 2004
Ol'89r and VintageDirt I am getting confused! If a mate helps to lace a wheel should we both have lubricated nipples or will just one person in this condition make the job easier? :yikes:

DTH, hope it goes well, it is never a fun job in my experience. Just one question, will the bigger rim change anything as a different size sprocket would?

DTH

Sep 21, 2001
noosa_nic i'm swapping rims because my 18" is bent and I have a 19" laying around.. Again thanks for everyone responding. DTH

Top Bottom