19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
On the weekend I rode with 3 mates, 2 on WR400’s and one on a KX250. My KDX200 went through nearly double the amount of fuel that each of the other bikes used. The only day I measured it was the first day where we rode for three hours. We all started with full tanks and went to the servo straight after to fill up. The first WR used 4 litres, the second WR used 5 litres and my bike used 8 litres! I couldn’t believe it, I thought it would run on fumes. Is this sort of fuel usage normal? The motor is tired, the riding was 2nd or third gear stuff mainly and in very hilly terrain. Unfortunately I have no Idea how many Kilometres I travelled but would guess somewhere around the 50km mark. What sort of fuel economy do you guys get?

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
I have a 93 KDX200 (which my son rides) and a 98 KDX220. The 200 is stock except for boyesen reeds and the 220 has a Gnarly pipe, power core 2 silencer and boyesen reeds. The 220 gives me double the distance of the 200. Dunno why. Oh they are both Japan Domestic Mkt and come with 29mm carbs (Torquey). My 220 will give me 100 km on 6 litres of fuel. The 200 will give 70 km from full to reserve. Sucks gas. I used to ride a friend's 91 200 which also had a high fuel consumption.

Aaronkdx

May 3, 2005
I have an 2001 kdx 200 w/ gnalry pipe and silencer and I can go about 60 miles on full to reserve. But hard riding, 2nd, and third, hills.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
My 96 KDX200 (fmf turbine core silencer, proper jetting, otherwise stock) used far less fuel than any of my other bikes (125 and 250 2-stroke MX bikes). A full tank would last me a full 2-2.5 hour harescramble race without needing to switch to reserve. How did you fare compared to the KX250?

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
I get about 25mpg when riding hard in the desert, usually 30-35mpg when putting in the woods. 2000 KDX 200, Gnarly Rev and Boysen power reeds.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Two questions that comes to mind are; 1). What is your gearing? and 2). What RPM range do you spend your time in? I have my bike set up for improved low RPM operation and don't ride "on the KIPS" very much of the time (over 6000 RPMs). I know it is popular to gear these bikes down some, but they have plenty of low end grunt (if set up for it). My bike is geared 13/48, I get great mileage, and can't really see the need to gear it down to keep the RPMs up. Just a thought.

May 26, 2005
hmmm I havent really put mine to the test yet. I will check it out this weekend though if we get a chance to ride after all this miserable rain.

I'm geared quite a bit lower at 13/50 but I spend alot of time in deep florida sugar sand. I also felt like it was stuck between gears alot on the the stock 13/47. I'll bet I'm gonna use alota gas now though.

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Sunny State KDX said:
hmmm I havent really put mine to the test yet. I will check it out this weekend though if we get a chance to ride after all this miserable rain.

Man, send it here! Most of Australia hasnt seen rain in about 3 years!!!! :(

Hmmm I hadn’t considered gearing. I will check it tonight and get back to you. The KX fared better than my 200, but I only know this cos it never hit reserve and has a smaller tank…how much it actually used would be a pure guess, but I would say it used more than the WR’s. In terms of riding I am not very fast at all, but the bike is not running well at low rpm so I tend to hold the throttle wide open during this hesitation. This could be a factor. A lot of the time I am riding on the pipe, but only in brief stints.

Top Bottom