This is what I need I think?

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
I have a 2003 YZ125 but I dont think its the right bike for me due to this:
I ride with my 8 year old who is learning to ride so I need something that will Idle and putt around.
Will a KLX be a good trailbike capable of idling for exstended periods without fouling plugs like the my YZ?
Is the KDX200 line prone to plug fouling if idling and putting along on trails?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Mike R. said:
Is the KDX200 line prone to plug fouling if idling and putting along on trails?
Only if the jetting isn't addressed. Im bias but thats a good choice. Maybe add a flywheel weight too. I also came off a 2000 YZ 125. Im not looking back either, for the type of riding I do it is simply perfect. Have a browse in Canadian Dave's JustKDX site and forum.
http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I have most of my last 20 riding hours been on my 200 marking hare scramble/poker run courses. LOTS of put-put-putting for sure.

I ended up with a rear fender that was spooge black from the bike never even getting to OPerating temperature...that's before you add in the stopping/starting and futzing around with markers, arrows etc.

Not a single occurrence of a 4-stroking ready-to-foul plug.

I am in agreement with kay dee...you will have no problem with plug fouling if you properly jet your kdx. None.

Last edited:

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
My wife spends whole days chuging around behind kids on LT80's and TTR125's on her KDX200. At the end of the day it feels a bit cloged but a 3 minute blast sorts that out no problem. It hasn't fouled a plug yet. Get one, you won't regret it.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Everyone assumes that all 2s bikes foul out if lugged or chugged. After 700+ miles in Moab the other week - most in 1st and 2nd gear - and gobs of idle time - I never fouled a plug. Having the slow circuit jetting is crucial.

I can lug the KDX for mile after mile - and crack the throttle and it rips to life instantly with no clearing time necessary.

It was not, however, like this with stock jetting. What are those guys thinking?

Anyway - get one! Jet it - and watch the little guys ride. before long - you will have a hard time catching them.

sn

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
As Henk says, I spend a lot of time riding behind little kids. I find the KDX fine for behind/leading the LT80 & TTR125, but find I have more fun on my TTR125 when I'm riding with XR/CRF50's - mainly because the 50 riders are less experienced than the lt80/ttr125 riders & I have to then find somewhere to park the bike so I can help them out. With my kdx being lowered, I've had to take the stand off as it was too unreliable & after bending a radiator (the one stump in the forest, she decided to have a lie down on), I just think a tree's easier.

We do replace the sparkplug occasionally, but I've either fouled one or two plugs in the almost 5 years I've had the bike. One I'm sure about as we'd both been working on the bike & both thought the other had taken the rag out of the carb & neither had, so that was dumbassness not the bike. Oh, yeah, there was another time. I'd been riding along & managed to take the wrong line & got spooked & just stuffed it up so the plug didn't have a chance to clear. (I know that doesn't make sense, but hey, it was a couple of years back). I remember the events afterwards better than what led to that plug fouling - I guess mainly because my helmet got knocked at some point & rolled into a nice, smelly, stagnant water puddle & started to sink. The plug tried to follow suit, so I did have to move the bike away.

My jetting's a bit rich which is why she does need a clean out sometimes.

It is a good bike for following, but it can get up & boogie when you want it to (Henk's stolen it a few times to take it racing - my lame attempts just don't count) ;)
Hope that helps some.
Michelle

Top Bottom